CCEL Student Team: Alternative Breaks
The Alternative Breaks program at Weber State University strives to cultivate active citizens by offering students the opportunity to engage in direct service trips throughout the world. We aim to give students a broader perspective of the world, discover the root causes of social issues, and create a desire to work alongside their home communities.
Spring 2023 Trips:
Alternative Spring Break trips are availale to apply for now!
Select the link below to learn about the trips and apply today. For more trip information, refer to the dropdown list below.
Trip Advisors (exempt employees only):
If you are interested in advising a trip with students, apply now!
The following explain each social issue and trips available for Spring 2023!
Active Citizen Continuum
Not concerned with their role in social problems.
Well-intentioned but not well-educated about social issues.
Concerned with discovering root causes; asks why?
a priority in values and
To help prepare students for on-site experience and to provide initial education about site specific social issues.
- Education, orientation, and training
- Pre-break direct service
- Preflection: goals and expectations
- Icebreakers and group building
Encourage participants to look critically at root causes of social issues & challenge to evaluate roles that they have in community.
- Strong direct service
- Ongoing education
- Community involvement
- Daily reflection tied to direct service and social issue education
Help participants find avenues for continued community involvement and support their efforts to take action locally.
- Organize or join small groups of thoughtful, committed citizens
- Continued education
- Reflection about reorientation process
- Post-break direct service, advocacy, and philanthropy
- Life choices that benefit the community