March 2023 Newsletter
Employee Wellness Has Moved!
We are excited to move to a new space that will provide a dedicated classroom, a private personal training studio, group exercise on-demand, a meditation/quiet space, and much more. Starting March 13, Employee Wellness will be operating out of Annex 29 located at 3650 Taylor Ave.
Please review the Spring Guide below. We look forward to helping you achieve your well-being goals.
The Wellness Pays Bonus Program was reset on January 1, 2023. This means you may start the renewal process at any time.
There are a few updates to be aware of for the 2023 calendar year:
- If you participated in the Bonus Program last year by providing a blood lipid screening, you will need to improve your score by 1 or meet 4 of 6 health criteria. As an alternative, you may complete the Therapeutic Lifestyle Program if you would rather not complete a blood lipid screening. This is a 17-module program that should take 2-4 months to complete.
- If you participated in the Bonus Program last year by completing the Therapeutic Lifestyle Program and would like to provide a blood lipid screening this year, you will not need to meet any specific health criteria. This will be considered your benchmark year. You may choose to complete the Therapeutic Lifestyle Program instead of a blood lipid screening.
- All participants will need to complete ONE health improvement activity as part of the program requirements. These activities have changed for this year to include:
- Record blood pressure daily for one month
- Record blood glucose daily for one month
- Record stress-relieving activities twice weekly for one month
- Complete a 2-week health challenge
- The Bonus Program will close on December 22, 2023, and reopen in 2024.
Employee Wellness will be offering blood lipid screenings weekly, Tuesday-Thursday, 8:30 - 11:00 am.
The Wellness Pays Rewards Program has reset as of January 16, 2023. All point levels were set to zero, and you may now complete activities to earn points.
As a reminder, all activities must be completed during the 2023 calendar year. Exams and other activities completed in 2022 will not be accepted.
The Rewards Program will close on December 22, 2023, and reopen in 2024.
Wellness In 30
Falling Back to Sleep
It's never fun to wake up during the night, and even worse when falling back asleep seems impossible. Come learn tips and tricks that can help prevent sleep interruptions and make the process of getting back to sleep easier and quicker. This Wellness In 30 is provided by Health Promotion Intern, Kassidy Powell.
Health Improvement Courses
Register for a health improvement class and learn how stress management, nutrition, and exercise can help to reduce elevated blood pressure, cholesterol, and blood glucose. While best if taken after you have completed a recent blood lipid screening or annual wellness exam, the information presented during any of these classes is beneficial for everyone.
Each class will meet for 60 minutes. A workbook and supplemental information will be provided to each participant. Please register for the topic that interests you the most:
- Cholesterol 101: Training Tracker #810-10
- Blood Pressure 101: Training Tracker #810-11
- Glucose 101: Training Tracker #810-12
Habitual Thinking and Sleep
Presented by Blomquist Hale
How do you quiet the chatter in your mind before falling asleep? Letting thoughts of the day go is the key to great sleep. Learn how to apply Cognitive-Behavioral approaches to improve your sleep.
Register on Training Tracker: #800-40
Wellness In Action
Thursdays, March 16 - 30
When was the last time you tracked your sleep? If you have in the past, what did you do with that information? During this three-part workshop, learn how to track your sleep, implement sleep training, and learn useful techniques to help you sleep better. This Wellness in Action workshop will be provided by Health Promotion Intern, Kassidy Powell.
Register on Training Tracker: #810-17
The Body Project
Thursdays, March 16 - April 20
The Body Project is a body acceptance program to empower women to engage in body acceptance and promote a positive body image.
The Body Project is a six-week program consisting of one, 45-minute weekly meeting each week. During meetings, participants will engage in a series of verbal, written, and behavioral exercises in which they consider the negative effects of pursuing the thin-ideal. All participants are expected willingly contribute during each meeting.
Register on Training Tracker: #810-20
Healthy For Life
Fridays, March 17 - April 21
Create a Healthy Plate
Enhance your cooking skills during this six-session course.
During each session, participants will work in teams to follow a recipe and make a dish. All participants will receive a reusable meal container that should be brought back to each session. This semester, recipes will focus on creating a healthy plate. Please register for the sessions that sound most interesting to you.
• Pick a Protein
• Whole Grain Hacks
• Added Sugar is Not So Sweet
• Rethink Your Drink
• Snack Smarter
• Tasty, Affordable Meals for Busy Families
Register on Training Tracker: #810-18
Impact of Taxes Now and Later
Presented by TIAA
Are your assets properly placed? The strategies can be complicated. Learn about which tax strategies might be best for you and your portfolio at a financial education webinar for Weber State University employees, presented by TIAA.
This presentation is available online.
Mindful For You
March 13 - April 16
Log into your Employee Wellness Account weekly to receive tips to become more mindful. Tips will include deep breathing exercises, practicing gratitude, walking, and working on social connections.
No need to register.
Wellness On Demand
New for 2023
Whether you’re trying to be more active, improve your eating habits, or boost your mental well-being – you can now choose your own path to wellness from a menu of options.
And as always, you can earn cash rebates when you participate in various programs.
Blomquist Hale Webinars
Blomquist Hale will provide webinars and workshops every month.
Date: March 13
Time: 12:00 p.m. – 1:00 p.m. MT
Date: March 14
Time: 2:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. MT
Date: 3rd Thursday of Every Month – Next group is March 16
Time: 6:30 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. MT
Date: March 29
Time: 7:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. MT