ESL Pathway Students
If you are an international student needing a little extra English support, this is the place to be! We can help you improve your English skills to get you ready for college-level courses and literature.
Weber State University has two ESL pathways available.
Weber State offers two pathways to help international students placed in the ESL Pathways program achieve success in their classes. Placement into these pathways depends on students' test scores, which are determined through an English proficiency test that must be completed along with their application.
Academic and Pre-Academic ESL pathway tuition is the same as that charged for all out-of-state residents.
- Application Fee: $65 USD payable online with a credit card. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are unable to pay online.
- Passport: Provide a readable copy of the identification page of your passport that lists your name, date of birth, and expiration date.
- Educational Records: Official transcripts of your academic records and a diploma showing date of completion. Include certified translation into English if necessary. High school transcripts are not required if you have earned at least 30 degree-seeking credits at an accredited U.S. college or university.
- English Proficiency: You must complete one of the following:
- TOEFL: 470 - 499 paper-based or 47 - 52 internet-based (please request official results sent to WSU using school code 4941)
- TOEFL Essentials: 5.5
- IELTS: 5.5
- SAT Critical Reading score of 350-419
- ACT English score of 16
- DUOLINGO English Test: Score of 85 (please request official results sent to WSU directly from Duolingo)
Upon arrival, Academic ESL Pathway students will take the Accuplacer English test, and the ALEKS math placement tests.
English & Math Placement
- TOEFL: 450 - 467 paper-based or 35 - 46 internet-based (please request official results sent to WSU using school code 4941)
- TOEFL Essentials: 5.0
- IELTS: 5.0
- SAT Critical Reading score of 300-349
- ACT English score of 14-15
- DUOLINGO English Test: Score of 75 - 80 (please request official results sent to WSU directly from Duolingo)
If your score is lower than the minimum required, we recommend you attend an intensive English language school, such as Lumos. If you are lacking the English proficiency to attend Weber State and have applied to or are already attending a language school, we may be able to issue you conditional admission. If this applies to you, see Lumos Language School.
- Bank Statement or Bank Letter: A bank statement or bank letter that shows the account holder’s full name, the currency type, the balance of the account, and a signature and stamp from a bank official on a bank letterhead. This document must be in English. The amount in the bank account should be more than the cost estimate (equal to one year of tuition and all other expenses).
Documents That May Be Required:
- Copy of I-20 and Visa: If you are coming from a university within the U.S., please provide a copy of your visa and copies of all I-20’s you have been issued.
- Foreign Credentials Evaluation: If you would like to receive credit for your work from any colleges or universities that you have attended outside of the United States, you will need to have your credits evaluated by a foreign credential evaluation company. For a list of approved companies, visit Foreign Credentials Evaluation Services. You will need to have the evaluation done course-by-course.
- Dependent Request: If you are planning to bring a spouse or children as a dependent, please complete the Dependent I-20 Request Form and submit the documents requested in the form.
Once you have compiled all required documents, apply and submit them through our online portal.
Apply & Submit Documents Online
Once you've applied and your documents have been accepted, you must still register for classes.