ASSISTANT PROFESSOR OF ECONOMICS
OFFICE: WB 244
CV: Matt's CV
Matthew Gnagey joined the Weber State University faculty in 2014 as an assistant professor of economics at the Goddard School of Business & Economics.
Gnagey received his MA in economics and PhD in environmental economics from the Ohio State University in the Department of Agricultural, Environmental, and Development Economics. His research uses economics, ArcGIS mapping, and statistics to study environmental and urban issues involving land use. He is particularly interested in policies that promote the sustainable use of land. Gnagey serves on the Faculty Senate Environmental Issues Committee, the Goddard School of Business and Economics Curriculum Committee, and is the faculty advisor to the Chinese Student Association.
Ph.D., Agricultural, environmental and developmental economics - Ohio State University, 2014
MA, Economics - Ohio State University, 2011
BS, Economics; Justice, peace and conflict studies – Eastern Mennonite University, 2005
- Honorary Coach Women’s Basketball, Weber State University, 2016
- Best Paper, Midwest Graduate Student Conference on Regional and Applied Economics, “Buried Streams: An Analysis of Regulations and Land Development”, 2013
- AEDE Best Doctoral Research Manuscript, “A Semi-parametric Analysis of Land Developers and Developer Costs”, the Ohio State University, 2011
Prior to academia, Gnagey worked in international development in Indonesia, and he has traveled widely for work and leisure. When not at work, he loves spending time with his twin girls, and enjoys being outdoors, most frequently skiing, hiking, bicycling and camping. He also likes to bake bread and is an avid bridge player.
WEB & SOCIAL MEDIA LINKS
PUBLICATIONS & PRESENTATIONS
PEER REVIEWED JOURNALS
Gnagey, M.K. and R. Tans. Forthcoming. “Property Price Determinants in Indonesia”. Bulletin of Indonesian Economic Studies. (authorship equally shared)
- Gnagey, M.K. and T. Grijalva. Forthcoming. “Spatial Impact of Mountain Trails on House Prices” The Annals of Regional Science.
- Grijalva, Therese and Matthew Gnagey. The Economics of air quality in Utah. In Crimmel, Hal, Weinbauer, Ingrid, and Ewert, Eric. Utah's Air Quality Issues: Problems and Solutions (forthcoming).
- Fiksel, Joseph, Elena Irwin, and Matthew Gnagey. 2016. Resilience Economics: A Systems Approach. In NIST Special Publication 1600: Economics of Community Disaster Resilience Workshop Proceedings.
- Selected paper presented at the W3133 Annual Meeting, Carlsbad CA, February 22-24, 2017.
- Selected paper presented at the Western Regional Science Association (WRSA) Annual Meeting, Santa Fe, New Mexico, February 15-18, 2017.
- Selected paper presented at the Southern Economic Association (SEA) Annual Meeting, New Orleans, LA, November 21-23, 2015.
- Utah State University, Applied Economics Seminar Series, Logan, UT 2015
- Weber State University, Goddard School Faculty Brown Bag, Ogden, UT, 2014
- Rollins College, Social Entrepreneurship Seminar, Winter Park, FL, 2014.
- University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point, Economics Department Seminar, Stevens Point, WI, 2014.
- Weber State University, Economics Department Seminar, Ogden, UT, 2014.
- Pitzer College, Economics Department Seminar, Claremont, CA, 2014.
- University of Puget Sound, Economics Department Seminar, Tacoma, WA, 2014.
- California State Fullerton, Economics Department Seminar, Fullerton, CA, 2014.
- Selected paper presented at the 60th Annual North American (NARSC) Meetings of the Regional Science Association International (RSAI), Atlanta, Georgia, November 13-16, 2013.
- Denison University, ODE Seminar, Economics Department, Granville OH, November 12, 2013.
- Selected paper presented at the Baltimore Ecosystem Study 2013 Annual Meeting, Baltimore, MD, October 22, 2013
- Ohio University, Economics Department Seminar Series, Athens OH. October 4, 2013
- Selected paper presented at the 6th Annual Midwest Graduate Student Conference on Regional and Applied Economics, Columbus, OH, April 4-5, 2013
- Selected paper presented at the Midwest Economic Associations Annual Meeting, Columbus, Ohio, March 22-24, 2013
- Selected paper presented at the 59th Annual North American (NARSC) Meetings of the Regional Science Association International (RSAI), Ottawa, Canada, November 7-10, 2012.
- Selected paper presented at the Baltimore Ecosystem Study 2012 Annual Meeting, Baltimore, MD, October 17-18, 2012
- Selected poster presentation for the 4th International EcoSummit, Columbus, Ohio, September 30th-October, 5th, 2012.
- Selected paper presented at the Annual Meeting of the Applied and Agricultural Economic Association, Seattle, Washington, August 12-14, 2012
- Selected paper presented at the Midwest Economic Associations Annual Meeting, Evanston, Illinois, March 30- April 1, 2012