Why Minor in Leadership?
Our leadership minor helps students develop character, think critically, and collaborate with others. Students practice leadership skills and learn how these skills translate to meaningful business outcomes. Leadership minors acquire transferable skills to complement the technical skills from their major. These transferable skills are what most employers say are missing among Utah's new workers. Leadership minors develop emotional intelligence, compassion, grit, and resilience while learning to influence and inspire others.
OF EMPLOYERS CONSIDER CRITICAL THINKING AN ESSENTIAL SKILL IN NEW HIRES.
OF EMPLOYERS LOOK FOR LEADERSHIP SKILLS ON RESUMES.
MOST IMPORTANT COMPETENCY EMPLOYERS LOOK FOR IN NEW COLLEGE GRADUATES
COMPLETE THE MINOR IN JUST 3 SEMESTERS!
OUR PARTNERS ON CAMPUS
- Bachelor of Integrated Studies
- Honors Program
- Child and Family Studies
- Criminal Justice
- Health Administrative Services
- Military Science
- Olene S. Walker Institute of Politics and Public Service
- Political Science
- Professional Sales
- Student Involvement and Leadership
WHAT BUSINESS LEADERS ARE SAYING
- Steve Starks, Utah Jazz President and Weber State Graduate: “As I interview promising candidates for jobs at our company or consider employees for advancement within our company, I am most interested in their character, capacity to think critically, and ability to engage as a collaborative partner…I wish the Leadership Minor were available when I attended Weber State.”
- Alan Hall, MarketStar Founder and Chairman and Weber State Graduate: “Leadership is an essential component of success within any discipline and I am confident this minor will enhance the success, confidence, skill-set, and motivation of our students.”
- Kyle Poll, LinkedIn Sales Leader and Weber State Graduate: “Across all businesses with which I’ve worked, there is no skill more highly desired and in more short supply than that of leadership.”
YOU'LL TAKE COURSES LIKE THESE:
- Organizational Behavior & Mgmt (MGMT 3010)
- Leadership and Group Effectiveness (MGMT 4300)
- Advanced Organizational Behavior (MGMT 4400)
- Leadership through Character (MGMT 4410)
- Critical Thinking for Leaders (MGMT 4420)
- Leadership-related course(s) university wide
YOU'LL LEARN SKILLS LIKE THESE:
- Critical thinking and problem solving
- Grit and resilience
- Compassion and empathy
- Emotional intelligence
- Teamwork and collaboration
YOU'LL GET THESE HANDS-ON EXPERIENCES:
- Practice collaborative leadership skills to develop emotional intelligence.
- Create and present student journey line to develop self-awareness and resilience.
- Compete in team debates to refine research skills, emotional intelligence, and critical thinking.