NUBOTS Robotics Camps
Target Population: 60 Ogden School District Students (30 per camp) in MESA & GEAR UP
Northern Utah Robotics Summer Camp (NUBOTS) is a free summer camp for MESA and GEAR UP students and a unique collaborative effort between Utah partners: Weber State University’s (WSU) College of Applied Science & Technology, Ogden Weber Applied Technology College (OWATC), and Ogden City School District.
This outreach event is an intervention strategy for underrepresented students designed to achieve the following goals:
- Provide a community service activity to encourage at risk populations to improve educational achievement in Science, Technology, Engineering and Math.
- Reduce cumulative effects of learning loss during summer, a primary cause of widening achievement gaps between students of lower and higher socioeconomic levels.
- Encourage students to choose to take the appropriate mathematics and science courses in high school so that they are prepared for college.
- Give students exposure to both a college atmosphere and university campus.
- Inspire students to enter mathematics, science, technology, and engineering careers paths.
- Provide an opportunity for students to develop team building skills and practice leadership.
- Give students public speaking practice as they present their robots to their classmates, friends, and families.
These goals are accomplished by nurturing enjoyment and confidence in STEM subjects through the exciting world of robotics, electronics, programming and engineering. Students are provided engineering education reading materials that teach them engineering concepts and describe the different types of engineering specialties. Then they connect the value of what they have learned to educational and career opportunities.
Camp instructors teach students engineering concepts using the Lego Mindstorm robotics system. The students are divided into teams where they design, build, and program, their robots and are challenged with activities to stimulate thought processes and get them thinking like engineers. They program their robots to accomplish a variety of tasks such as maneuvering obstacles and robot combat. Each camp concludes in an evening where the camper’s families and friends are invited to Weber State for a presentation of the weekly activities and to watch a robot sumo wrestling match where the student’s robots wrestle each other for the championship.
For questions about registration, please call Ogden School District GEAR UP at 801.737.7450