Departmental Honors offers distinction to the best students in a major.
The goal of this program is to recognize accomplishments in three primary areas: scholarship, leadership, and professionalism.
Departmental Honors Requirements:
- Earn a cumulative GPA of 3.5 or above;
- Complete four of the following options with prior written approval of the Departmental Honors Committee. You must complete a proposal that defines and articulates your plan. The proposal form is attached.
- Complete at least one course offered through the Honors Program with a grad of "B+" or above;
- Participate in a reading group by attending three or more sessions in a semester and write a reflection paper that connects the practice of teaching to themes in a featured book;
- Complete a comprehensive literature review concerning an educational issue or concept; (Indicate the length and type of literature review you will complete on the proposal form.)
- Complete a curriculum project beyond requirements in a course or student teaching; (Your proposal should highlight the qualitative or quantitative impact within classroom practices.)
- Complete a volunteer project related to the teaching discipline beyond the required senior service project; (The hours for this service project should fall within the range of 20-45 hours.)
- Develop materials for the classroom including possibly a readers' theatre, a song book, etc.
- Develop a skill for utilization in a classroom and document the development and implementation of that skill in practice;
- Hold a leadership position in a student chapter of a state or national education organization for the length of an academic year;
- Present at a research conference, including WSU's Undergraduate Research Conference;
- Design a project of your own articulated on the proposal form that receives approval of the Departmental Honors Committee. Participate in the Honors Nye Banquet poster presentation when you graduate
Applying for Departmental Honors:
- Complete the Departmental Honors Application; (This form is found on WSU Honors Webpage)
- Contact Shirley Dawson, the Departmental Honors Chair in Teacher Education, who will review and sign your application;
- Submit the signed application to Marilyn Diamond, the Honors Program Advisor;
- You must be admitted into Departmental Honors for at least one semester before graduating. (You will receive a letter confirming your acceptance in the program.)
- Meet the requirements listed above;
- Visit with Shirley Dawson early in the semester of antiipated graduation so as to complete the Departmental Honors Exit Application; (This form is found on the Honors Webpage)
- Submit the signed exit form to Marilyn Diamond, the Honors Program Advisor, who will clear you for graduation with Departmental Honors.
- The exit application must be submitted prior to fall break for fall graduation and prior to spring break for spring graduation;
- You must still apply through the graduation office.
- Your transcript and degree diploma will be printed with the distinction, "Departmental Honors in Teacher Education;"
- You will be invited to all Honors Program social and educational events;
- You will receive an invitation to the Honors Nye Banquet when you graduate.
Proposal Form for Departmental Honors in Teacher Education