skip to content
  • Calendar
  • Maps

Maintaining F-1 Student Status

It is your responsibility as an international student to maintain your F-1 student status while in the United States.

  1. Under the F-1 Visa requirements, you must enroll as a full-time student during the fall and spring semesters. At Weber State University (WSU), to be considered a full-time student you must be registered for 12 credit hours as an undergraduate student and 9 credit hours as a graduate student.
  2. Please meet with your PDSO/DSO if you have questions about the following:
    • Classes (Dropping below the required credit limit, changing your major, withdrawing from classes).
    • Transfer to another school (Must complete an official transfer form)
    • Work on or off campus (Must have proper authorization before you start working)
    • Travel outside of the U.S.
    • Any changes on your I-20 (change of address, major, sponsor, I-20 end date extensions, etc.)
    • Contact the office at least 30 days prior to your program end date (item 5 of your I-20).
    • Receive authorization for Reduced Course Load due to:
      • Medical Reasons
      • Last semester of study
      • First semester of study with English challenges
      • Concurrent enrollment
      • Graduate Assistantship