Reach New Heights with a Master of Arts in English
Are you ready to advance your career? Look no further than the Master of Arts in English program at Weber State University.
Our program is designed for working professionals and is known for its affordability, accessibility, and personalized approach to fit individual educational goals. We are committed to academic excellence and to the success of our students, both during their time at Weber State and after graduation in the careers they choose.
We offer advanced preparation in the study of literature, language, creative writing, and English education. We offer emphases in four distinct tracks to give students the flexibility and freedom needed to customize their studies to best suit their needs and passions. Our small class sizes allow students to get to know knowledgeable and caring professors on a personal level while receiving exceptional instruction in engaging, innovative courses.
Next Application Deadline: May 15, 2023
"My degree has been a valuable asset in my career, not only financially, but also in areas of expertise within the curriculum and development of the English department at the school where I teach."
- Paula Simonson, Master of Arts in English graduate, Class of 2014
After completing the program, our graduates have
- Earned doctorate degrees in English, Education, Leadership and Policy, Library and Information Studies, Professional Communication, Philosophy, and other fields of study at prestigious universities across the nation.
- Been hired by some of Utah's largest employers, including Intermountain Healthcare and Davis School District.
- Worked in teaching or advising positions at every major college and university along the Wasatch Front, including Weber State University, University of Utah, Brigham Young University, Utah State University, Salt Lake Community College, Utah Valley University, Ensign College, and Western Governors University.
- Taught English at both public and private high schools.
- Started their own freelance and consulting businesses.
- Authored and published books, poetry, short stories, articles, reviews, and research papers.
Why Weber State University's Master of Arts in English Program?
We offer different areas of study including Literature, Creative Writing, and a Rhetoric and Writing Studies graduate certificate that you can easily add to your master's degree.
Year after year, students in the Master of Arts in English program appreciate the close relationships they develop with our faculty and staff. Here, professors know your name and desire to help you succeed. Our class sizes are small and course schedules are flexible to accommodate a variety of schedules.
Earning your Master of Arts in English at Weber State is affordable. We believe tuition should never be an obstacle to educational opportunities, which is why WSU offers one of the most affordable Master of Arts in English programs in Utah. We happily offer scholarships, and teaching and research assistantships each semester!
Our program is accessible. There is no GRE or MAT requirement for admission consideration to the program. We want to evaluate your academic achievement, and writing and analytical abilities, not your skill at taking a standardized test.
WSU prides itself on our personalized approach to learning. Most classes follow a 16-week format, meeting one night per week (5:30 - 8:10 p.m.) and courses are offered during fall, spring and summer semesters. You may take up to 9 credit hours per semester, or step out of the program for a semester when your life or career needs to come first.
While in the program, you will
- Read and discuss literature at a sophisticated level.
- Learn about and apply foundational and current scholarly criticism.
- Develop an understanding of theoretical perspectives.
- Conduct research on literary topics.
- Read in-depth in areas of personal interest.
- Develop critical thinking, research, creativity, and persuasive skills.
- Expand your horizons by working with highly-trained faculty.
"Earning my Master of Arts in English degree gave me a level of professionalism I never expected. I am so grateful to the program for all the benefits I received and for the engaging and challenging experiences the courses provided. The MA degree opened doors for me."
- Monica Linford, Master of Arts in English graduate, Class of 2015
There's no better time than now to set yourself free with a higher degree. What are you waiting for?
Take your life to new heights and submit your application to the Master of Arts in English program now.
Read more details on the application process on our How To Apply page.
For questions regarding the application process, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Connect with Weber State English
Weber State University