How to Apply
Join the Master of Arts in English program for advanced preparation in the study of literature, language, creative writing, and English education.
For questions regarding the application process, contact us at email@example.com.
March 1 for Summer/Fall
July 1 for Fall
October 15 for Spring
- Bachelor's degree in any field
- Transfer credits
- Online application form
- 5-8-page writing sample
- Three letters of recommendation
- Official transcripts
- Letter of intent and current resume
- Application fee
- Interview with program director
1. Submit Materials Early
Submit all application materials at least 60 days prior to the deadline to allow for international admission review.
2. Complete Additional Paperwork
If you are an international applicant or have completed courses outside the U.S., you will need to complete additional paperwork to comply with university and United States INS regulations. For more information, contact the International Student Services Office at 801-626-6853, or visit the International Student and Scholar Center.
3. Be Competent in English
You must be able to comprehend and speak English fluently, as well as read and write English competently. Language competency may be confirmed by 1 of the following:
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). Have your official score report sent to the program office. Tests must not be more than 2 years old and have a minimum score of 550 (paper-based), 213 (computer-based) or 79–80 (internet-based).
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS). Have your official score report sent to the program office. Tests must not be more than 2 years old and have a minimum score of 6.5.
- Completion of a program for learning English as a second language at a regionally accredited, U.S. institution of higher learning, such as English as a Second Language (ESL), or the Learning English for Academic Purposes (LEAP) program at Weber State University.
4. Evaluated transcripts
To receive credit for your college work from any colleges or universities that you have attended outside of the United States, you will need to have your coursework evaluated by a foreign credentials evaluation company. Evaluations need to be done course-by-course.
Find approved evaluation companies at www.naces.org/members.html
Optional Mailing Instructions
If you wish to mail materials directly, use a page-sized envelope. Do not insert application materials into a binder or notebook of any kind. Print your name and return address on the upper-left-hand corner of the envelope. Mail to:
Master of Arts in English Program
Weber State University
1395 Edvalson St Dept 1404
Ogden UT 84408-1404
Notification of Admissions Decision
You will be notified by email about the decision the Admissions Committee has reached about your application.
Each application is reviewed in depth by the Admissions Committee. Careful consideration is given to the overall balance of participants we seek for the program. If you have any questions about the application process, contact the administrative assistant at 801-626-7179 or firstname.lastname@example.org.