Outside Funding

Outside funding is any financial aid that falls outside of federal financial aid or Weber State aid. You apply for these funds on your own, outside of the standard WSU financial aid process. 

Some types of aid (grants and scholarships) don’t require repayment, while others (loans) do. Read all information carefully so you understand your responsibilities.

State Grants

Tier Grant (TIERG): This grant is awarded to undergraduate students from Utah who are enrolled full-time (12 hours per semester). The amount you may receive ranges depending on availability of funds and other financial need factors. The annual range is $400-$3,050.

Other State Aid: We encourage non-resident students to check with your home state higher education agency for available funding.

Private Scholarships

Thousands of private scholarships are offered each year by individuals, private companies, nonprofits, employers, communities, religious groups, and professional and social organizations. For more information on finding and applying for private scholarships, visit the Federal Student Aid website and or Fastweb.com.

If you receive a non-WSU scholarship, the organization/individual who awarded you must communicate with the WSU Cashier’s Office in order to apply your awarded funds toward your tuition and fees.

Alternative Loans

We strongly encourage ALL students who need tuition assistance or who are considering an alternative loan to explore all government and university resources first.  Apply first for federal student aid by completing the FAFSA at studentaid.gov.  

Alternative loans:

  • Are private loans you apply for from participating banks, credit unions, and other lending institutions. These loans help supplement educational costs not covered by federal or state financial aid programs.
  • Allow you to borrow additional money if you have reached your Stafford loan limit or if you no longer qualify for federal financial aid.
  • Are not part of the federal student loan program.
  • Have interest rates, fees, and eligibility criteria that are set by each lender; many lenders require a co-signer and credit check.
  • Are loans and must be repaid.

Weber State University does not suggest or recommend specific alternative loan programs or lending
institutions and encourages all interested students to perform thorough research on the various
alternative loan options.  As a courtesy to our students, we have partnered with two private loan
comparison tools, Credible and Great Lakes tool, FASTChoice. These private loan comparison tools
empower you to take control of the process and make an informed decision in selecting the best private
loan for your individual situation.

Credible is an online tool that allows students to compare personalized loans from multiple lenders.
Students can analyze prequalified rates, terms, and eligibility rules side-by-side in just a matter of
minutes. Credible is not a lender or bank. Credible partners with student loan lenders so that applicants
have a variety of competitive options, each addressing their particular needs.

FASTChoice, powered by Great Lakes loan guarantor and processor, helps you choose the right loan by
presenting you with loan details, including eligibility requirements, interest rates, loan limits and
borrower benefits. FASTChoice provides comparison tools for a variety of private educational lenders
previously utilized WSU students.
NOTE:  Students may choose to use a loan provider that does not appear in the list of lenders included
at either of the links above.

Before Borrowing

Ask lenders questions, such as:

  • What is your lowest interest rate and fee combination, and how can I get it?
  • Is the rate only for a limited period, or is it for the life of the loan?
  • Is there a limit on how high the variable rate can go?
  • How often is the interest rate adjusted, and how is it determined?
  • What interest rate can I get on a fixed-rate loan?
  • When do I begin repaying the loan?
  • How long will I be repaying the loan?
  • Is there a penalty for paying it off early?
  • What proportion of your borrowers get the discounts you offer?
  • Are your discounts guaranteed, or are they subject to change later?

Remember ABC: Always Borrow Conservatively.

If you take out an alternative loan, your lender will be required to send you, and any co-signer(s), three disclosure notices. A mandantory waiting period will also be required prior to the disbursement of your funds. The notices and the waiting period ensure that you are properly informed concerning the terms and conditions of your loan. Your lender will also require Weber State University to certify your eligibility for the loan, and if approved, your loan will be sent to the school to be disbursed to your account. Please allow 3-4 weeks for processing time.

Veterans' Benefits

WSU's Veterans Services office helps former and current military personnel, and entitled family members, find and use educational benefits such as the GI Bill and available scholarships.

Workforce Services

Utah's Department of Workforce Services (DWS) considers your education as training for your future career. The goal of DWS funding is to help you be successfully employed in a good job.

DWS may be able to help with training or related expenses if:

  • You are seeking a certificate and degree with a specific career in mind, and
  • You are within two years of receiving the certificate or degree.

To pursue this opportunity:

  1. Complete the FAFSA and complete FAFSA verification.
  2. Register with the Department of Workforce Services as a Job Seeker.
  3. Complete the WSU Financial Aid Summary Status form to send your WSU records to the DWS.

Code of Conduct

Weber State University explicitly prohibits conflicts of interests with the responsibilities of the institution in respect to private educational loans, specifically: revenue-sharing; gift receiving; contacting arrangements which provide financial benefit; directing borrowers to particular lenders or refusing or delaying loan certifications; offers of funds for private loans; advisory board compensation; financial aid office staffing assistance.(HEOA Sec. 493(a)(1), Sec. 493(c), amended Sec. 487 - Sec 487 (a)(25), Sec. 487(e); 34 CFR 601.2, 601.21, 668.14(b)(27)).