Graduate Students

Graduate student aid can be a combination of loans or scholarships. is a great information resource on federal financial aid programs, including the following brochure:

Financial Aid for Graduate and Professional Degree Students

Get Started

At Weber, the process for applying for financial aid is the same for graduate students as for undergraduates.

Go to the Financial Aid homepage to get started on the 4 easy steps to apply for aid.

Enrollment Levels

Full time: 9+ credit hours
Half time: 5-8 credit hours

No federal assistance is available to graduate students who are enrolled less than half time (1-4 credit hours).

Graduate or Professional PLUS Loans

Graduate or professional students are eligible to borrow under the PLUS loan program up to your cost of attendance minus other estimated financial assistance. The funding comes from the U.S. Department of Education. This is a loan and must be repaid.

The terms and conditions include a determination that you do not have an adverse credit history. Graduate PLUS loans have a fixed interest rate and repayment begins on the date of the last disbursement of the loan.

You must complete the FAFSA to determine your eligibility. Requests for this loan type can be made by submitting an application on  

Alternative Loans

We strongly encourage ALL students who need tuition assistance or who are considering an alternative loan to explore all government and university resources first. Apply first for federal student aid by completing the FAFSA at  

Alternative loans:

  • Are private loans you apply for from participating banks, credit unions, and other lending institutions. These loans help supplement educational costs not covered by federal or state financial aid programs.
  • Allow you to borrow additional money if you have reached your Stafford loan limit or if you no longer qualify for federal financial aid.
  • Are not part of the federal student loan program.
  • Have interest rates, fees, and eligibility criteria that are set by each lender; many lenders require a co-signer and credit check.
  • Are loans and must be repaid.

Weber State University does not suggest or recommend specific alternative loan programs or lending institutions and encourages all interested students to perform thorough research on the various alternative loan options. As a courtesy to our students, we have provided FASTChoice and Credible , a loan comparison tool, as a resource to research the rates, eligibility requirements, and benefits of private loan lenders. This tool allows you to research the alternative loan options that will work best for you.

Before Borrowing

Ask lenders questions, such as:

  • What is your lowest interest rate and fee combination, and how can I get it?
  • Is the rate only for a limited period, or is it for the life of the loan?
  • Is there a limit on how high the variable rate can go?
  • How often is the interest rate adjusted, and how is it determined?
  • What interest rate can I get on a fixed-rate loan?
  • When do I begin repaying the loan?
  • How long will I be repaying the loan?
  • Is there a penalty for paying it off early?
  • What proportion of your borrowers get the discounts you offer?
  • Are your discounts guaranteed, or are they subject to change later?

Remember ABC: Always Borrow Conservatively.

If you take out an alternative loan, your lender will be required to send you, and any co-signer(s), three disclosure notices. A mandantory waiting period will also be required prior to the disbursement of your funds. The notices and the waiting period ensure that you are properly informed concerning the terms and conditions of your loan. Your lender will also require Weber State University to certify your eligibility for the loan, and if approved, your loan will be sent to the school to be disbursed to your account. Please allow 3-4 weeks for processing time.