Associate of Applied Science in Health Information Technology
The Associate of Applied Science in Health Information Technology prepares you to succeed in the growing field of healthcare coding and information management. The AAS program is an excellent stepping stone between a healthcare coding certificate and a bachelor's degree in health information management.
Why Choose Health Information Technology at WSU?
- More than 90% of graduates pass their RHIT® certification exams, compared to a national average around 71%.
- 95% of our students become credentialed professionals and have a job upon graduating.
- Flexible course delivery: classes are available in a classroom, online or through independent study.
- Learn from experienced instructors who thoroughly understand the industry.
- Graduates report high rates of satisfaction with our curriculum and program.
- Our program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education (CAHIIM)
What You'll Learn
The AAS degree program focuses on technical functions such as:
- Coding diseases and operations
- Releasing medical information appropriately
- Maintaining statistical measures
- Using related computer software
Graduates work in a variety of healthcare-related organizations, such as:
- Insurance companies
- Medical clinics
- Home health agencies
- Skilled nursing facilities
- Mental health facilities
- Public health agencies
- Software vendors
- Health maintenance organizations
The average starting salary for associate's degree graduates in Utah is around $35,000.
This may vary depending on the region, workplace and skill level.
The faculty advisor for the AAS in Health Information Technology is:
Office: Interprofessional Education Building, Room 214
Required Background Check
You will need to complete a background check, drug screen and proof of immunizations before your Professional Practice Experiences (HIM 2861 and HIM 2862)