Weber Rocks Climbing Wall
The Weber Rocks Climbing Wall is located in the Swenson Stromberg complex. Weber Rocks is an educational facility offering participants the instruction and equipment needed to make climbing a life-long pursuit.
Drop-in Recreation Hours
The Weber Rocks climbing wall is tentatively set to reopen for fall semester.
Closed for summer
Groups of 3 or more, or anyone hoping for individualized instruction must make advanced reservations. Participants must be 13 or older to belay. For reservations or more info call 801-626-7904 or email firstname.lastname@example.org 2 weeks in advance of your desired dates.
Student Day Pass: FREE
Student Belay Clinic: FREE
Rental Equipment: FREE
Student Groups: Please call us 2 weeks ahead of time if you plan on joining us with any group larger than three people. Outside of drop-in hours, student group rates are $11 a person.
General Public Fees
General Public Day Pass: $14.00 + tax (Gear / Belay Clinic /Access) Pay at the climbing wall, not the front desk.
Punch Pass: $110 for 10 visits (Gear / Belay Clinic/Access) Pay at the climbing wall, not the front desk.
General Public Group / Special Event:
$12 per person, for climbing OR bouldering
$14 per person, for climbing AND bouldering
The Weber Rocks Climbing Wall will be open to Weber State University students, staff, faculty, general public and pass holders with proper identification during open recreation hours.
Any participants under the age of 16 must be accompanied by a parent/guardian at all times at the Weber Rocks Climbing Wall.
All permitted minors under the age of 18 must have a parent/guardian read and sign the Informed Consent for Minors form.
Please complete our Participant Waiver.
All participants will be required to complete a belay clinic. Those with ample experience will be able to demonstrate their proficiency through a belay test. The belay clinic is required for initial admission. After the initial clinic or test climbers will have full use of the facility.
The Weber Rock Climbing Wall only accepts credit cards.
Rules and Policies
Policies for Participation
- All participants must complete an assumption of risk form prior to participation in any activity at the WRCW. Participants who are minors must have a parent or legal guardian complete the assumption of risk form.
- Organized groups must ensure that all members have completed an assumption of risk form, including forms completed by parents/legal guardians on behalf of minors. Groups must remain at the WRCW and are not permitted to go to other areas of the facility.
- Participants under 16 years of age must be accompanied by an adult at all times. Participants under 13 years of age are not permitted to belay.
- Participants may include WSU students, faculty, or staff as well as community members with membership or access to the Swenson-Stromberg Complex. All other participants must be part of an organized group with approval to use the wall.
- Participants may only use the WRCW during scheduled academic classes, regular drop-in recreation hours, or as part of a scheduled, organized group. A staff member must be present at all times for any participants to use the WRCW.
- All participants will not be under the influence of alcohol, drugs, or other substances that may affect their sobriety or judgment while participating in activities at the WRCW.
- Climbers will only use a figure-8 follow-through knot to tie into climbing ropes.
- An appropriate, functional belay device is required for all belaying.
- Belay devices must be attached to the belayer’s harness with a locking carabiner.
- Loose chalk is not permitted. Participants may use chalk balls.
- Participants may check out a helmet for free from WRCW staff should they wish to use them.
- Climbers should use standard climbing commands, minimally “On belay?”, “Belay on”, “Climbing?” and “Climb on.”
- Climbers may use their own equipment with approval from WRCW staff.
- All equipment should be used in accordance with the manufacturer’s recommendations.
- Lead climbing is no longer permitted during drop-in recreation hours. It is only permitted with prior reservations.
- Spotters are recommended, but not required, for all bouldering.
- Boulderers may use the roped climbing walls ensuring their shoulders to not go above the first row of quickdraws on the wall. Boulderers should yield to roped climbers on the roped climbing walls and should not boulder below roped climbers.
- Boulderers should hang and drop or hang and downclimb from the bouldering wall. Topping out is not permitted.
- Personal music devices are not permitted as they pose a communication hazard.
- Food and drink (except water in a bottle) are prohibited at the WRCW.
- Participants should report accidents, damage, equipment issues, or unsafe behavior to WRCW staff immediately.
- Participants will follow the instruction and direction of WRCW staff at all times.
- All participants not part of a scheduled, organized group must complete a WRCW orientation and belay clinic and test to participate in activities at the WRCW.
- The WRCW reserves the right to suspend, either temporarily or permanently, use of the WRCW by any participant for failure to comply with any WRCW policy or for behavior deemed inappropriate or unsafe.
The WSU Climbing Center, Weber Rocks, is located in the northwest corner of the main arena in the Stromberg Center. Entre-Prises designed and constructed the climbing wall in 2007 in three sections.
There are three distinct climbing surfaces available:
- 24ft. wide X 30ft. high "Imprint" (panel) wall
- 22ft. wide X 30ft. high "Free Form" (natural rock) wall
- 40ft. wide X 13ft. high "Free Form" Bouldering wall