» I Am A Mentor
Contact: Olga Antonio | firstname.lastname@example.org | 801-626-7332
CRLA Certification Requirements
The College Reading and Learning Association (CRLA) “is a group of student-oriented professionals active in the fields of reading, learning assistance, developmental education, tutoring, and mentoring at the college/adult level” (www.crla.net). The organization offers an International Mentor Training Program Certification. The Certification has three levels. Currently, Weber State University is working toward a Level 1 Certification.
In order for Weber State University mentors to be eligible for CRLA certification, they must complete a total of 15 training hours, spend a total of 50 hours in face-to-face meetings with mentees, and meet the mentor selection criteria. In order to meet the selection criteria, WSU mentors must have a GPA of 3.0 or higher, interview with their departmental supervisor, and receive two or more references/letters of recommendation from faculty, former supervisors, or counselors.
What training is provided to mentors?
Mentors receive summer training with their respective departments, a one-day group training in August, and on-going training workshops once a month in fall and spring semester. The following are examples of the training topics:
- Responsibility and accountability
- Interpersonal communication
- Effective leadership skills
- Campus resources
- Cultural competence
How are my training hours being tracked?
Each time you attend an approved training or workshop, there will be a sign-in sheet. Be sure to fill in your name, department, time in, and time out. The sign-in sheet will then be typed up and sent to your departmental supervisor for record-keeping.
Spring semester 2017 Peer mentor on-going trainings
Don’t miss any of this semester’s ongoing trainings! Attend these workshops to rack up the training hours you need for your certification. When the same workshop is offered twice, you need only attend one.
- Stress Relief Center Tour and Activities
- Tuesday, January 24 in Wildcat Center 210 @ 1:30 p.m.
- Friday, January 27 in Wildcat Center 210 @ 3 p.m.
- Academic Coaching for Peer Mentors
- Tuesday, February 21 in SU 232 @ 1:30 p.m.
- Friday, February 24 in SU 232 @ 3 p.m.
- Student Self-Perceptions and How They Affect Academic Success
- Tuesday, March 21 in SU 232 @ 1:30 p.m.
- Friday, March 24 in SU 232 @ 3 p.m.
- What Mentoring Did for Me
- Tuesday, April 18 in SU 232 @ 1:30 p.m.
- Friday, April 21 in SU 232 @ 3 p.m.
As per CRLA requirements, mentors can complete three of their 15 required training hours by watching videos online. Below you will find a list of approved trainings that have been recorded.
August 2014 Peer Mentor Training
- Understanding FERPA
- Overview of Being a Peer Mentor
- Diversity Panel
- Developing Emotional Intelligence
- Approaching Mentees
August 2015 Peer Mentor Training
- Welcome, Purpose, Certification
- The Role of the Peer Mentor
- Peer Mentoring Do's and Dont's
- Professional Ethics
- Establishing Rapport / Motivating Others
- Questioning and Listening Skills
- Campus Resources and Services
- Diversity Panel
August 2016 Peer Mentor Training
- Peer Mentor Panel Fall 2016
- Peer Mentors: Questioning and Listening
- Peer Mentors: Establishing Rapport with Mentees
- Peer Mentors: Ethics
- Peer Mentors: Five Do's and Don'ts of Peer Mentoring
Fall Semester 2015
- QPR: Suicide Prevention
- Helping Mentees with Study Skills
- Peer Mentors: Valuing Others
- Peer Mentors: Sexual Assault Awareness
Spring Semester 2016
- Peer Mentors Academic Coaching
- Stress Management: WSU Student Wellness
- Peer Mentors: Cultural Awareness
- Peer Mentors: Financial Aid
- Peer Mentors: Public Speaking
What if I see another training or workshop that could count toward my certification?
Let us know! We are happy to approve trainings and workshops outside of those already scheduled for peer mentors. Just contact your departmental supervisor with the details about the training you are interested in, and ask them to forward the information to Jennifer Grandi at email@example.com for approval.