Duo is a third party, two-factor authentication system Weber State uses to protect your accounts in the event that your password is stolen or compromised. It can be used on a smartphone or tablet.
Duo sends a push notification to your smartphone when logging into Weber State accounts and services in the eWeber portal, which you can then authenticate. Duo is an important tool for protecting your personal information, passwords and data. Once installed, it can be used to protect your other personal accounts, such as Facebook and Instagram, for free.
You can install Duo any time.
- Installing Duo
If you haven't set up an account recovery email address, do so before enrolling in Duo.
- Visit the Duo Mobile Self Service app in the eWeber Portal on a computer and click "Get Started." Log in to your account if needed, and click "Get Started" again.
- Download the Duo app by searching "Duo Mobile" in the App store or Google Play store. Grant Duo access to push notifications and your device’s camera.
- Click “Send Authorization Email" in the eWeber Portal on your computer, then open email on your computer as well, and follow the instructions. Complete this step from a computer, not your phone.
- Click “Get Started” again in the Duo Mobile Self Service app in your eWeber portal.
- Choose the device type you’d like to register, such as a smart phone or tablet. If you're enrolling a mobile phone, enter the phone number of the device and select what kind of phone it is. If enrolling a tablet, select what type as well.
- Click “I have Duo Mobile installed.”
- Open the Duo app on your device, select “Add” and then “Use QR code.” Use your device’s camera to scan the QR code that appears on your computer screen. If your camera is broken and you cannot scan the QR code, press “Email me an activation link instead,” enter an email address and press “Send email," then follow those instructions.
Once installed, you will be prompted to use Duo when logging into the eWeber portal. You have 10 tries before you will be locked out. Should that happen, you will need an IT administrator to bypass the login at the IT Service Desk in Lampros Hall, room 110. You must bring your device and a valid form of identification, such as your Wildcard or drivers license. You may also contact the IT Service Desk at 801-626-7777 or email@example.com and they will provide assistance bypassing the login.
To add a new device to Duo, simply select “Add a new device” when the Duo authentication screen appears and follow the prompts.
Some very old operating systems are not compatible with Duo. Make sure your device is up to date with the most recent operating system available. If you get a new smartphone, you will need to install Duo again on that device once you’ve activated it.
- Activating Duo on a New Device
Whether you got a new phone or you want to add a tablet as a backup device, you can easily manage multiple devices in Duo.
1. On the WSU Secure Login page, enter your Wildcat username and password, then click "Log In."
2. Before approving the login attempt, click "Other Options" then "Manage Devices."
3. Approve this login attempt with a push or passcode on your device that still has Duo.
On this page, you can manage your devices. If you got a new phone, click the link that says "I have a new phone" and follow the prompts. If you are adding a second device, click "Add a device" and follow the prompts.
- Using Duo
Once you have successfully installed Duo, you will be asked to approve your login after you've entered your username and password. The information below provides details and tips to login and use Duo.
- Duo Push: Select "Send Me a Push" on the Duo screen and a notification will be sent to your phone or tablet. You may then select "Approve" and you will be logged into your account.
Duo Tokens: Students may purchase a Duo hardware token to access accounts, which are available at the Ogden campus Wildcat Store. The tokens are tax free and sold at cost. Once the device is purchased, students are encouraged to contact the IT Service Desk at 801 626-7777 and request assistance enrolling a Duo hardware token. For students with disabilities who want to obtain a hardware token, contact the Disability Office. For students with financial hardship, contact firstname.lastname@example.org. To use a Duo token one purchased, select the option to generate a passcode and then press "Enter a Passcode." From there, you may type in the passcode from your token and you will be logged into your account.
Tips for Using Duo
- If you will be using the same browser for an extended period of time, you can select the "Remember me for 12 hours" checkbox on the Duo screen before approving your login. This option allows you to bypass the duo login approvals for 12 hours on the same browser.
- If you do not have a reliable internet connection, or if the Duo push isn't showing up on your device, you can open the Duo Mobile app and select "Show" on the passcode section to generate a passcode to access your account.
- Duo Security
If you receive a notification to approve access in Duo that you did not initiate, do not approve it. Instead, press DENY in Duo. Once you have denied the suspicious activity, change your password and notify the Information Security Office at email@example.com. The only way you would receive such a notification is if someone entered your username and password in the CAS sign on and is trying to access your information.