- Be declared as a Sociology or Anthropology major, earning a bachelor’s degree
- Earn a cumulative WSU GPA of 3.3 and a major GPA of 3.7
- Anthropology majors: Participate in a program of anthropological field study such as an Anthropology Study Abroad program, Archaeological field school, Anthropology internship or another approved field project with an anthropology mentor. You must also complete ANTH 4830 for 3 credit hours and with a grade of A or A-. This involves completing a senior thesis based on original research.
- Sociology majors: Complete SOC 4900, Senior Capstone with a GPA of 3.7 or higher. This includes completing a senior thesis based on original research.
- Present a scholarly paper, which could be your senior thesis, at a professional conference such as the Department of Sociology and Anthropology Student Research Conference, the WSU Undergraduate Research Conference, the Utah Academy of Arts, Sciences and Letters Conference or a similar conference.
Students earning departmental honors will be recognized with:
- Honors designation on official transcript and printed on degree diploma
- Invitations to Honors educational and social events
- Invitation to Honors Nye-Cortez banquet at the end of the academic year
- Department of Sociology & Anthropology Honors Advisors
How to Apply
- Complete the Departmental Honors Application at least one semester before you graduate.
- Contact your departmental honors advisor, who will review and sign your application.
- Submit the signed application to Marilyn Diamond, the Honors Advisor.
- You must be admitted into Departmental Honors for at least one semester before graduating.
- You will receive a letter confirming your acceptance.
- Visit your departmental honors advisor early in the semester before graduation to complete the Departmental Honors Exit Application.
- Submit the signed form to Marilyn Diamond, who will clear you for graduation with Departmental Honors.
- If you have not completed your general education requirements, you are encouraged to take honors general education classes.
- You must apply to be awarded departmental honors and be cleared by both the Department of Sociology & Anthropology and the Honors Program.
- The exit application must be submitted prior to fall break for fall graduation and prior to spring break for graduation.
- You must still apply through the graduation office