Pre-Optometry Recommended Schedule
Students looking to pursue post-graduate degrees in optometry need to prepare right away to be ready for application to optometry schools.The following is a recommended course path for optometry school acceptance. Core courses vary between different optometry schools but the following suggested courses will make you more competitive when applying.
ALWAYS CONSULT YOUR ADVISOR as this is a general suggestion.
Your course path could vary depending on your science background, Math placement, and English placement.
- General Chemistry with labs (Chem 1210 & 1220)
- College Algebra (Math 1050)
- Trigonometry (Math 1060)
- English (Engl 1010 & 2010)
- General Biology with labs (Zool 1110 & 2220)
- Organic Chemistry (Chem 2310 & 2320)
- Microbiology or Bacteriology with lab (Micro 2054)
- Calculus (Math 1210)
- Physics (Phys 2010 & 2020)
- Psychology (Psych 1010)
- Statistics (Math 1040)
- Physiology (Zool 2200)
- Biochemistry (Chem 3070)
- Anatomy (Zool 2100)
- History (Hist 1700)
- Speech (Commun 1020 or 2110)
- Social Science (see General Education requirements)
- Other humanities (see General Education requirements)