This timeline should be completed the semester before you plan to complete your student teaching (ECED 4710 Advanced Guidance and Planning for Early Childhood Education and ECED 4720 Student Teaching in the Children's School).
Advising: Weeks 1-4 of the semester
- Meet with your academic advisor.
- Review the process to apply for student teaching and your graduation plan with academic advisor.
- Ask academic advisor to enter your intent to student teach and planned semester as a note in CatTracks.
Prepare Application Materials: Weeks 4-8 of the semester
- Gather needed information: see cover letter and supplemental documents below.
- Complete required certifications. CPR and First Aid must contain both infant and toddler certification.
Apply: Week 9 of the semester (Fall Semester Nov 1, Spring Semester Mar 15)
- Complete the Early Childhood Student Teaching Application.
- Submit a cover letter with the application: a summary of feedback from coach/mentor teacher feedback in ECED 2610, ECED 2620, and ECED 3570 as well as other classroom experience, hopes for the student teaching experience, learning preferences and needs to be considered in student teaching placement, etc.
- Submit Supplemental Documents as an attachment to your application: unofficial transcripts from WSU, CPR/First Aid certifications (Infant and Child Certification required), Food Handlers Certification, and a professional photo.
- For exceptions to these due dates contact Dr. Carrie Ota.
Placement: Weeks 9-13 of the semester
- Attend the placement meeting that the student teaching faculty adviser schedules with you.
- Review and discuss your scheduling constraints, goals, strengths, hopes and needs with the student teaching faculty advisor.
- Notification of your of classroom placement will be sent to your WSU student email by the last day of the semester.