The 50/50 Student Employment Program increases the number of on-campus student jobs for the purpose of gaining meaningful work experience, retaining students, encouraging students to work toward a degree, and to increase student connections with WSU faculty and staff. It is designed to help on-campus employers create positions to be filled by full-time undergraduate students. This program launched in conjunction with the Fall 2011 and Spring 2012 semesters.
Resident, non-resident, and international undergraduate students will be eligible to work under its provisions. Unlike Workstudy, this program is not based on student income. Departments desiring to create 50/50 designated positions must submit an application form and will be required to contribute at least 50% of the student's wages. The other 50% (up to $4.50/hr) will be provided through the 50/50 Student Employment Program.
These positions are to be new positions, not current ones that are "rolled over" in order to help pay for students already employed. This program is designed to create new student employment experiences, not replace funding for existing positions. A selection committee made up of three representatives from Career Services will carefully review each position request and will award those that meet the selection criteria as described below:
- Position does not exceed 20 hours per week
- Position provides meaningful work and allows for development of skills in areas of customer service, teamwork, and communication
- Position supports the retention and student success efforts of the university
Wages will begin at $9.00 per hour for up to 20 hours per week throughout fall and spring semesters. If a department feels the position they are offering deserves a higher rate, that department is required to pay 100% of the amount over $9.00.
All supervisors must complete the short online supervisor training and pass the quiz with a score of 100% BEFORE applying for a position. Then complete the 50/50 Student Employment Position Application.
Please thoroughly read all information sent to you in order to ensure a quick result.
This short online training is required of all supervisors once per year. Please note: no position applications will be approved without training completion.
- Part 1: 50/50 Position Policies. This video is 1:25.
- Part 2: Student Employee Policies. This video is 1:04.
- Part 3 : Student Employment Procedures. This video is 1:38.
- 50/50 Student Employment Position Application: Use this form to apply for a new position.
- 50/50 Student Employee Notification Form: Use this form to inform Career Services and Payroll of new hires in a 50/50 position, student employees leaving a 50/50 position, student employees continuing in a 50/50 position, and/or student employees in a 50/50 position that are transferred to work study.
- 50/50 Position Update Request: Use this form to submit a request to change the title, job description, supervisor, or timekeeper of a position.
If you have questions about the program, please contact: