Worker’s Compensation: What to Do When You're Injured at Work

Step 1: Medical Treatment

Is Your Injury an Emergency?

If your injury is an emergency, meaning it is a threat to life or limb, have someone take you to the nearest emergency room or call 911. 

Is Your Injury Due to a Blood Borne Exposure?

If your injury is due to a blood-borne exposure, review and follow WSU's Post-Exposure Procedures.

If you have additional questions about blood-borne exposure, contact Environmental Health & Safety at 801-626-7823 or 801-626-8004.

Did Your Injury Occur in Utah?

  • If your injury is a non-emergency, it is recommended that you wait until 7:30 a.m. to go to the nearest WorkMed. 
  • If your injury is an emergency, call 911 or have someone take you to the nearest emergency room. 
  • In all instances, your supervisor should accompany you to the emergency room or WorkMed.

Find nearest IHC WorkMed between 7:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.*

Find nearest IHC Instacare between 5:30 p.m. – 9 p.m.*

*Hours for ICH WorkMed and Instacare vary by location. Consult IHC websites linked above for specific facility hours.

Did Your Injury Occur Outside of Utah?

Locate the nearest emergency room or call 911 as the situation warrants. 

What do I Need to Tell the Doctor?

When you are treated for a work-related injury, tell the doctor you were injured while working at or for Weber State University. Tell the doctor your work duties so the doctor can determine if you need modified care. 

What if I Don’t Want to Seek Immediate Medical Attention?

If you don’t wish to seek medical treatment, you still need to report the incident to your supervisor and fill out the Individual's Report of Incident form within the first 24 hours following the incident. 

What if Didn’t Receive Medical Care Right Away and Now I Want to be Seen by a Doctor?

You can still be seen by a doctor. There might be additional complications and delays, and Workers Compensation Fund may need to do a more in-depth review of your case. 

Step 2: Report the Incident

Report Your Injury to your supervisor.

Report your injury to your supervisor and fill out the Individual's Report of Incident form within 24 hours or as soon as possible. Even if you do not receive medical treatment you still need to fill out the Individual Report of Incident form.

Make sure to provide details about how the incident occurred, such as weather conditions if you were outside, if the floor was wet or if you didn’t notice an item in your path.

To submit the forms electronically, please click on the following applicable link: 

Report Your Injury to WSU’s insurance coordinator.

Report your injury to WSU’s insurance coordinator via mail or fax within 24 hours of your injury if possible. WSU needs to supply Workers Compensation Fund with the information regarding your injury in a timely manner to be compliant with the Labor Commission of Utah.

Contact Marisa Salazar at 801-626-6925 or 3850 Dixon Parkway, Dept. 1016 Ogden, UT 84408-1016.

Step 3: Correct Unsafe Conditions

Correct unsafe conditions

Correcting unsafe working conditions can prevent serious injuries to yourself and others. Ask your supervisor to assist you in correcting any unsafe conditions.

For additional assistance, contact Human Resources at 801-626-6184 or visit the Workers Compensation Fund website.