WEST Scholarship Criteria
WEST Scholars are selected based on the following criteria:
- Declared in one of the physical science majors offered at Weber State; chemistry, computer science, engineering, earth and environmental science, and physics.
- Completion of Math 1050 or higher
- Financial need based on FAFSA results*
Additionally, those student applicants demonstrating academic and leadership potential and/or acting as a role model for others pursuing a STEM-related field will be more likely to be accepted into the program.
*Applicants must be citizens of the United States, nationals of the United States (as defined in section 101(a) of the Immigration and Nationality Act), aliens admitted as refugees under section 207 of the Immigration and Nationality Act, or aliens lawfully admitted to the United States for permanent residence.
Email Tracy Covey, chemistry professor, if you:
- meet the above requirements,
- need additional information, and
- want to apply.
To keep the scholarship, WEST Scholars are required to:
- Maintain a minimum 3.0 GPA both overall and in the courses of their major
- Keep full-time student status
- Participate in at least 80% of the cohort activities (principally the STEM seminar)
- Make satisfactory progress towards degree requirements in their chosen STEM major
WEST Scholars also will be encouraged to participate in the recruitment of local high school students during the spring semesters and to take advantage of undergraduate research, community-engaged learning, and/or internship opportunities. Many of these opportunities will lead to undergraduate research opportunities, paid internships, and job opportunities as peer mentors and tutors for future WEST scholars.
As this program moves forward,
look for opportunities to share,
like, and connect on social media.
For now, use #weberstate and #westscholar to show some love!
Tracy Covey, Ph.D.
Weber State University
College of Science
1415 Edvalson St., Dept. 2503
Ogden, UT 84408-2503
Tracy Hall Science Center (TY)
Click for campus map