Develop skills for serving in supervisory positions in K–12 schools.
What You’ll Learn
The Master of Education with an emphasis in Educational Leadership is designed for candidates seeking administrative positions in K–12 schools and is focused on the Utah Educational Leadership Standards. After completion of an intensive administrative internship, candidates will be eligible to be recommended to the Utah State Board of Education for an administrative/supervisory license.
What You Can Do
An emphasis in educational leadership prepares candidates to hold leadership positions in schools as teacher leaders and building administrators, and in school districts as specialists. The degree supports anyone seeking leadership positions in education and education-related fields. The emphasis results in a recommendation for the school leadership license area of concentration.
Common careers for graduates:
- Teacher leaders
- School administrators
You must fulfill the following requirements to earn your degree:
- Completion of the 36 credit-hour program, consisting of 12 credit hours of foundation courses and 24 credit hours of professional core specific to educational leadership
- Completion of an intensive internship in the K–12 setting
- Minimum Educational Leadership: Administration and Supervision Praxis Exam (5412) score of 146 to be recommended for administrative/supervisory license
- Grade of at least a B- in all foundation courses (Coursework in which Ds, Es or UWs are earned is unacceptable and could result in removal from the program if the problem persists.)
- Overall Weber State University GPA of 3.0
Find details on courses in the WSU Catalog.
To apply, follow the steps outlined on our Admission page, making sure to meet the following requirements specific to the educational leadership emphasis:
- Clear a USOE fingerprint background check
- Hold a Level 2 or 3 Utah educator license
- Be deemed effective or higher by one of the following:
- An evaluation system meeting the standards of R277-531
- The LEA’s equivalent on the applicant’s most recent evaluation;
- Receive a recommendation from one of the following:
- Your immediate administrative supervisor
- An LEA-level administrator with knowledge regarding your potential as an education leader.
If you have questions regarding the admission process, contact us.