Global Community Engaged Learning
The Global Community Engaged Learning Program (GCEL) at Weber State University (WSU) is a global engagement experience and that instills confidence to exact positive change in the world.
- Undertake projects in developing nations with in-country partners
- Alleviate poverty
- Involve students to help them develop various skills and increase confidence
- Create proactive global citizens
- Foster strong collaborations with local organizations and global communities
- Align with the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
Upcoming Humanitarian Project
The Global Community Engaged Learning (GCEL) has partnered with Kenya Keys, a public charity, to design and build a Learning Center to benefit the community of Taru, Kenya. Students will complete outreach visits to local villages, conduct mentoring sessions with local high school students, complete site visits with local primary and secondary schools, and partner with programs such as Days for Girls to conduct health and wellness education in local villages and schools. These activites will help students understand and develop respect for local construction techniques. Students will also gain hands-on experience in construction techniques and be able to compare and contrast local construction techniques with those commonly found in the United States.
Program Dates: March 1 - 11, 2023
For more information, please contact either Julie Rich (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Jeremy Farner (email@example.com)
GCEL Project History
- 2023 - Taru, Kenya - Constructed a community learning center.
- 2022 - Accra, Ghana - Built blocks for student housing, medical outreach and acoustical beautification of classroom and dining hall.
- 2021 - Covid delayed Ghana trip
- 2020 - Nabouwalu, Fiji - Installed 30 lab computers, built covered walkways between classrooms and remodeled bathrooms.
- 2019 - Nabouwalu, Fiji - Constructed a classroom, expanded the kindergarten, installed water harvesting off school and rebuilt the village hall.
- 2018 - Tororo, Uganda - Constructed a perimeter security fence for a medical clinic and school as well as drinking fountains on the playgrounds.
- 2017 - Boane, Mozambique - Constructed a library and two classrooms.
- 2016 - Chiclayo, Peru - Constructed a women's center, children's preschool and laid one kilometer of water pipes.
- 2015 - Chiang Rai, Thailand - Built a kitchen and dining hall for an orphanage.
- 2014 - Boane, Mozambique - Constructed a women's center.
- 2008 - Kigali, Rwanda - Installed solar panels and drilled water well.