Visual Art and Design Major Scholarship
Deadline: March 11, 2024
This scholarship requires that you fill out the Specialized Scholarship Application AND submit additional materials to the department.
Scholarships are awarded during the spring for the following school year. You must be a declared art major following art program requirements. (Preference will be given to students who have not yet completed degree requirements in art.)
Scholarship recipients must maintain a strong GPA while carrying not less than 12 credit hours per semester.
To apply for this scholarship, complete the following:
- Update your scholarship information through your eWeber portal by going to Financial Aid and Scholarship portal and completing the Specialized Scholarship Application.
- Create and submit a digital portfolio including 8-12 pieces of original work which demonstrate your strengths in your target studio area (2d, 3d, Photography, or Graphic Design, Art Education).
Scholarship recipients will be notified of the award via email in late Spring 2024 and scholarship awards will be effective during the 2024-2025 school year.
What to include in your portfolio/application
We recommend you seek the advice of one or more professors on portfolio composition and presentation.
- Include 8-12 original pieces that represent your best work. Your portfolio may include:
- Work from class assignments
- Self-directed projects
- Sketchbooks (these are encouraged and are considered a single work)
- Term papers from art history classes (two papers counts as one work)
- A five-page essay based on slide comparison or given subject (counts as one work). (If you intend to write and submit this essay, notify the department Administrative Assistant)
- Include an Identification Document: a numbered list of portfolio art works that includes the following information:
- Number of items (1, 2, etc.)
- Last Name
- project description & class (if class assignment) or identify as self directed
- date completed.
Example: 1 Makov, “Cat”, woodcut, 16 x 20”, self directed, 2010
- Include a 300-500 word essay that you will send along with your images on blogger.com.
For the essay, choose from the following topics:
- An essay explaining your current work. It may include, but is not limited to the following:
- Description; self-reflection; influences; and/or possible or anticipated evolution in the coming semester.
- An essay on an artist, designer or movement of significant influence to you. Discuss the magnitude, extent and specific aspects that continue to drive your work and your thinking.
- Essays will be evaluated on the following:
- Expression, strength & articulation of your idea(s)
- Essay’s readability & grammatical correctness
Instructions for Submitting Your Digital Portfolio
- Shoot your work. A list of photo students who may be hired to do this is in the photo lab, or you may do it yourself. Images must be high quality JPEGs.
- Create a blog on blogger.com.
- Go to blogger.com and create a login.
- It will take you to your dashboard, where you can edit your profile. Upload an image of yourself here and finish filling out the required profile info. Then go back to your dashboard.
- Under the “Manage Blogs” section, click on "Create a Blog" located at the right of the screen.
- It will take you to a screen where you enter a blog title and URL address (This URL address is the link which you will turn in). Please name your blog using your name and BFA at the end. (example: title - Jessy Smith BFA, URL: jessysmithBFA.blogspot.com) You will not be sending actual files to Cynthia, just the link.
- Choose a starter template. If you do not design your own, we would like you to choose the "Simple" template design.
- Once you hit continue a few times, it will take you to your first post. This first post will contain your essay. Begin with your name and emphasis, then space several times before beginning your essay.
Graphic Design Emphasis
- To download an image, go to “Compose” and add images. Download photos as separate posts and title each post (at top).
EXAMPLE: 1.) Jessy Smith BFA: Title, 2.) Jessy Smith BFA: Title, etc.
- Each additional post will contain a single entry with important information at the bottom of the page where it says “label”: Title, medium, etc. as requested in the Identification Document. Follow the online instructions and image requirements as listed. You can edit anything either delete, or add captions, etc.
- Add an Identification Document
- Make sure you post your blog.
- When you have completed your blog you must send the URL link to Cynthia Kurien: firstname.lastname@example.org for your application to be complete.