A number of scholarships and awards are available through the Weber State University Department of Foreign Languages. Except where otherwise noted, all scholarships will be awarded through the Department of Foreign Languages by a screening of applications and nominations. For a complete list of awards, please see below.
Study Abroad Awards
The deadline for Summer 2023 Foreign Languages Study Abroad Awards is November 15, 2022. These awards will be decided by early February 2023. To apply for a Foreign Languages Study Abroad Award, please fill out the application form.
NOTE: In order to be eligible for a Foreign Languages Study Abroad Award, you will also need to fill out the Weber State University 2022-23 Specialized Scholarship application form.
The deadline for 2023-2024 departmental academic scholarships is March 1st, 2023.
In order to be considered for our Academic Scholarships, fill out the 2023-24 Specialized Scholarship application form before March 1st, 2023.
For information on scholarships available for Lindquist College of Arts and Humanities students, please visit the Lindquist College website.
- Kenneth Adams Scholarship Endowment (German): Junior student studying abroad in a German speaking country. Minimum GPA of 3.5 in major language classes. Minimum overall GPA of 3.2.
- Corry Family Award in Foreign Languages: Declared major or minor in Foreign Languages. Preference to students with financial need.
- Foreign Languages Alumni & Friends Scholarship: Declared major or minor in Foreign Languages. Minimum 2.5 GPA. Full or part-time student.
- Foreign Languages Study Abroad Scholarship: Declared major or minor in Foreign Languages and enrolled in an approved study abroad program. Minimum 3.0 GPA. Full or part-time student with preference for full-time student.
- French Merit Award Gift Fund: Currently enrolled student majoring or minoring in French. Preference to students enrolled in the French study abroad program
- French Teaching Scholarship: Currently enrolled student majoring in French Teaching. Minimum overall GPA of 3.0.
- German Merit Award: Declared major or minor in German. Currently enrolled in upper division courses (3000-4000). Minimum 3.0 GPA.
- Ed Kenley Foreign Language Scholarship: Declared major in Foreign Languages. Full-time junior or senior. Minimum 3.0 GPA. Selection will be based on language proficiency and academic ability.
- Willard Z. and Rona Lee Maughan Scholarship in Spanish: Declared major or minor in Spanish (any emphasis). Minimum overall GPA of 3.0. Full or part-time student.
- Howard F. Phillips Memorial Scholarship: Declared major or minor in Foreign Languages. Junior or Senior with minimum 3.0 GPA in language courses.
- Spanish Merit Award: Declared major or minor in Spanish. Full-time student. Minimum 3.0 GPA.
- Lucie M. Swanson Memorial French Scholarship: Currently enrolled with declared major or minor in French.
- Ralph P. & Judith H. Vander Heide Scholarship: Declared major in a foreign language; minimum overall grade point average (GPA) of 3.0; preference given to students with financial need, as determined by the selection committee (the FAFSA, or its equivalent, is not required). May be used for tuition, fees or study abroad.
- Gwen S. and Harmon G. Williams Scholarship: Declared major in French with emphasis on the study of French Languages. Minimum 3.0 GPA. Preference to students with financial need.