For information about the English Department's Internship program, go here: English 4900: Internships in Literary and Textual Studies.
Below is a brief list of internships that have been brought to our attention. This is by no means exhaustive; these are merely the small number of employers seeking interns that have been brought to our attention.
Internships are often available via the following sites:
Period of Employment: July-December
The EnglishConnect Internship is a project-based internship centered on improving the student experience in the coursework and curriculum. With students in over 100 countries, BYU-Pathway Worldwide has a need to develop a unique higher-education curriculum that can serve a diverse and growing student population. The EnglishConnect Intern plays a crucial role in helping the curriculum team design the curriculum approach, write the curriculum itself, and connect with other teams to bring that curriculum around the world.
The internship is a five-month, part-time position from July through December, located in Salt Lake City with no benefits and no stipend for housing. The salary is $13.50 per hour (20 hrs/wk).
- Write new and review existing curriculum for an online language learning app
- Think like a student in order to anticipate student needs in designing and authoring the curriculum
- Potentially help with the design and approach of the methodology
- Understand and connect with a unique user base
Paid Interns are qualified while enrolled in an educational institution and for one year following graduation. They must sign a Paid Internship Engagement Letter.
- Minimum GPA: 3.0
- Must be eligible to work in the United States
- Desired Majors: TESOL background required
- Strong writing skills
- Responsible, reliable, and accountable
- Able to complete projects thoroughly and on time with minimal supervision
- Curriculum development experience is preferred, but not required
- Excellent project organization and management skills
- Tech savvy and familiar with navigating learning management systems
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint)
- Flexible and adaptable to change
- Highly detail-oriented and mindful of others’ needs
- Strong ability to prioritize competing tasks, demands, and responsibilities
- Ability to provide high quality work under pressure and deadlines
Must be a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and currently temple worthy.
POSTING NOTICE/MORE INFO.
Please Note: All positions are subject to close without notice.
APPLY THROUGH HANDSHAKE
About BYU-Pathway Worldwide
By combining online learning with religious education, BYU-Pathway Worldwide inspires hope, opening new opportunities in higher education to learn by study and by faith.
Employer: US Forest Service
Period of Employment: TBD
Organization: US Forest Service, Intermountain Region
Address: 324 25th Street, Ogden, UT 84401
Contact Person Info (name, email and/or phone) and How to Apply:
Name: Wade Muehlhof
How to apply: resume via email to firstname.lastname@example.org by November 3, 2017
The Forest Service Intermountain Regional Office is looking for a motivated and eager-to-learn individual to
work with the Strategic Communications staff in Ogden, Utah to perform web assistant duties.
- Flexible hours within the hours of 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., Monday through Friday.
- Number of recommended hours per week: about ten hours a week during school, and 25-30 hours per week during the summer. The position is from mid-November, 2017 through September 30, 2018.
- Duty station: Ogden Federal Building at 324 25 th Street.
- Limited telework is available.
- Pay: $12.00 per hour.
- Candidates need a basic knowledge of web programming, graphic design, written principles, and analytical methods.
Applies updates to existing websites and creates new webpages using three different platforms.
1. Internet (Content Management System)
2. Intranet (HTML and PHP)
3. Microsoft SharePoint
- Work with the United State Department of Agriculture’s and Forest Service’s current design and formatting standards using web authoring software and other corporate tools.
- Be responsible for updating verbiage, manipulating photos, embedding videos, etc. Some programming may be required.
- Receive on-the job training in planning, organizing and contributing web information.
- Test new pages to ensure correct formatting, optimum display of graphics and properly functioning links.
- Ensure that web pages and documents posted to the web are 508 compliant.
- Assist forests in planning and implementing Forest Service recreation mobile applications.
- Communicate effectively in writing and orally.
- Use analytics and other tools to improve user experience.
There may be a possibility for the selected intern to learn and work with:
- Story maps using ArcGIS Online (training will be provided).
- Projects led by the National Chief Information Office Web team.
- Intern will have the opportunity to learn new skills and increase knowledge in web design and other Information
- Management fields. This person will need to pass a background check and other security requirements.
Employer: Betterment Labs
Period of Employment: TBD
Tech Startup Executive Assistant Intern
Betterment Labs, LLC is planning to hire a parttime (20 hrs/week) Executive Assistant Intern to
support our CEO and team. Betterment Labs is a twoyear old tech startup with a focus on
education and social betterment. It currently has two main projects: SOS Apps, Inc’s S@S Safe
@ School and the READ! Toolkit, for which we recently received a Phase I NSF SBIR Grant.
We are looking for an individual who shares our values, who can get fired up about our mission,
and who is excited to help us tackle larger and greater things. Since this is a close support role,
we seek a good match with our two cofounders. Ideal candidates are selfmotivated,
intellectually curious, thoughtful, creative, empathetic, efficient, rigorous, and fun!
Since Betterment Labs is a dynamic and growing organization, you should expect your role to
evolve. We strive to mentor and support our team in their professional development. You will
have the opportunity to grow your role, your skills, and your knowledge while being a part of a
closeknit, dynamic group of individuals who strive for excellence on a daily basis.
Our team works from home most of the time, so the ability to work on your own and be
selfmotivated is essential. This means our schedules are flexible, and we can work around your
schedule as needed. We love education, and an undergraduate or graduate college student
would be a perfect fit for the role.
The pay for this position will be commensurate with undergraduate or graduate student
assistantships, depending on experience.
As Executive Assistant, you will support the CEO in organizing projects, sales lead generation,
scheduling meetings with potential customers, and other tasks as they arise:
- Organize schedules & project management support for two founders (CEO and CTO)
- and diverse team of 412 employees and contractors located nationwide
- Early sales lead generation:
- Emails and phone calls (including “cold calling” potential customers)
- Find & research potential leads via internet (& other means? Creativity is valued!)
- Prioritize urgent communications and appointments
Potential Extra/Future Responsibilities
- Research relevant Requests For Proposal (RFP’s) from state and federal governments
- and other granting agencies
- Coordinate scheduling and travel arrangements, submit expense reports
- Take notes during meetings
- Research topics, people, organizations, events, and more
- Assist with marketing, social media, etc.
- Located in Salt Lake area, Park City, or other nearby Utah location
- Selfstarter who can work from home without much direct guidance
- Excellent communication skills, especially the ability to represent company and projects
- in a positive light on the phone, in writing (emails), and in person
- Well organized with excellent attention to detail
- Basic tech skills: email, Word, basic Excel, (or Google Docs equivalent)
- Willingness to learn new skills, especially tech skills, as needs arise
- Sensitivity and understanding of confidential matters and ability protect the privacy of
- customers and others accordingly (i.e., per FERPA and other state/Federal regulations)
- Ability to work in a timely and diligent manner while balancing multiple concurrent
- workstreams, a strong work ethic, and an ability to selfmotivate in an unstructured
- environment where initiative is key
- Foreign language knowledge, especially Spanish, Navajo, other indigenous languages,
- Spanish, or Ancient Greek
- Story writing experience or interest, particularly stories supporting early literacy
- Sales experience (super bonus points if in education)
- Experience working in preK12 schools
- Selfstarter: willing to jump into new subject area without much guidance
- Experience managing business and professional calendars, meetings, and travel plans
- Marketing experience
- Experience using HubSpot
- Accounting experience
- Diversity! Tell us about you — what makes you different? How has your background
- made you who you are?
Betterment Labs provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for
employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age,
disability, or genetics. As our company grows, we strive to make space for all kinds of people to
do amazing work with us. We especially encourage applications from women, people of color,
LGBTQ+ people, people with disabilities, immigrants, veterans, those who have been
incarcerated, and other communities that are underrepresented in technology startups. We
believe that a team with a wide range of backgrounds and experiences will be more creative,
more adaptable, and more effective. And we strive to build a team that reflects the communities
we are working to support.
How to Apply
Applications will be evaluated on a rolling basis. Looking to fill positions quickly. Please email
ccallowheusser AT bettermentlabs.com using the subject line “Executive Assistant” with a
resume and a brief cover note.
Employer: LDS Church Publications
Period of Employment: January - April 2019
The LDS Church Publications staff offer paid internships in editing, writing, web content, and design that give students four months of experience in print and digital writing, editorial, and publishing work. Beginning September 27, we will begin the hiring process for our winter (January to April) 2019 internships.
On Friday, September 28th, at 2 p.m., we will be holding an informational meeting at the Church Office Building in Salt Lake City, Utah. During the meeting, we will discuss:
- The kind of work experience a student can expect to gain during an internship
- The application process and associated deadlines
- Application and portfolio tips
We will also answer any questions students may have about the internships.
Those wishing to attend should notify me in advance (at email@example.com) so that I can prepare visitor passes to the building for them. Those who are unable to attend but still wish to obtain information about the positions may contact me at the same address. The positions will be posted on LDS.org by September 27 and will close on October 1 at 11:59 p.m.
Employer: Weber State University English Department's Creative Writing Program
Period of Employment: Semesterly
Job Description: We write to request a Creative Writing Intern for the period of the fall and spring semesters. We seek an industrious, energized student whose interests, availability, and skill set match with the following list of responsibilities:
- Record creative writing readings, on and off campus
- Upload content and maintain creative writing website
- Distribute posters and fliers, on and off campus
- Social media outreach for upcoming creative writing events
- Event planning errands related to putting on a reading
We appreciate your interest!
Employer: Ogden Surgical-Medical Society
Period of Employment: September 4, 2018 to December 14, 2018
Job Description: "I am emailing to request an English Intern from Weber State University for the period of September 4, 2018 to December 14, 2018. I am looking for a student that is:
- A great speller
- Willing to learn
- A good writer-understands sentence structure
- Knows basic Word and basic Excel
- Has their own laptop
- Can work 10-15 hours a week
- Willing to help with marketing in the Ogden area - not afraid to make email connections or phone calls - I have the information needed
- Able to write organization feeds on facebook and twitter
- Be familiar with how to file in alphabetical order and be willing to file papers
- Be able to lift 20 lbs. such as paper boxes etc when purchased
- Be willing to make $13.50 an hour
- Is honest
- The organization office is in Ogden by Weber State. However, a lot of this work can be done at the student's home.
The student will learn how to write basic grants, learn how to use their writing for accreditations for our organization, learn to write press releases, learn to write to other organizations, and learn how to help me organize a conference with tools I can teach them. They can send their resume to teresapuskedra@
ogdensurgical.com or take a copy of their resume and send it to me at 801-564-5585. I do not need a cover letter.
The student does not need any science or medical background, at all. I am interested in a person that is a good speller, checks their work, and is detail-orientated...and all the qualities mentioned above.
Please call me at 801-564-5585, or reply to this email if any other information is needed."
Contact: Teresa Puskedra, Executive Director, Ogden Surgical-Medical Society
Employer: Barnes Aerospace
Period of Employment: April - Summer 2018
Job Description: "We are looking for someone to work in our aerospace manufacturing facility writing job and work instructions for many of our processes. They will observe the process with an operator, then create the work instructions from their observations and information obtained from the operator. They may use various methods of gathering information and observing processes such as video recording, comparing against various process documents, direct operator input, and referencing engineers or other employee resources. We prefer at least 20 hours a week for the remainder of the current semester with increased hours during the summer months."
Contact: Kristin Thompson, HR Manager. firstname.lastname@example.org
Employer: Ogden Surgical-Medical Society
Period of Employment: November 20, 2017 to May 18, 2018
Job Description: "The student will learn how to write basic grants, learn how to use their writing for accreditations for our organization, learn to write press releases, learn to write to other organizations, and learn how to help me organize a conference with tools I can teach them. . . . The student does not need any science or medical background, at all. I am interested in a person that is a good speller, checks their work, and is detail-orientated...and all the qualities mentioned above."
Contact: Teresa Puskedra, Executive Director. teresapuskedra@ogdensurgical.
com | 801-564-5585
Employer: LDS Church Magazines
Period of Employment: January - April, 2018
Job Description: The LDS Church Magazines, General Publications Editing, and Seminaries and Institutes offer paid internships in editing, writing, web content, and design that give students four months of experience in print and digital writing, editorial, and publishing work.
Contact: Alyssa Kay Nielsen | email@example.com | (801) 240-3738