The primary learning objective of the course is to develop an introductory understanding of the difference between cultural and business practices in the USA and Japan. The most effective means of learning about international business and culture is to visit a country, observe businesses first-hand, and interact with business leaders in that country. In order to achieve course objectives, all participants will travel to Japan with the course faculty. While in Japan, businesses and cultural sites will be visited and explored. In this way, participants will gain a more complete understanding of the unique context for conducting business in foreign countries (especially Japan). The course will provide a framework to build awareness of these differences, allow students to draw their own conclusions about them, and provide information about how to navigate them. Coursework will be required prior to, during, and following this trip, and will be managed through the Canvas course website.
- Be 18 years of age or older.
- Be an MBA student or have faculty approval
- Be a high school graduate or above.
- Participants seeking academic credit for the program must be able to read the required text and participate in discussions.
- Provide documentation of sufficiently good enough health to travel and participate in a two-week study program.
May 8, 2021 – May 20, 2021