Academic Renewal

No. 4-20     Rev. 02-10-09      Date: 08-08-00      


A. Rationale

Academic renewal provides an opportunity for students to have their grade point average recalculated. The recalculated GPA will use all of those courses completed within the last six years and those courses prior to the six-year period wherein a "C-" grade or better was obtained.

B. Policy

1. The applicant for academic renewal must be a currently enrolled undergraduate student or must have been enrolled during the previous term. Students who are not currently enrolled and who cannot obtain financial aid until their GPA is recalculated using Academic Renewal should begin the process with Academic Records and take written evidence of the initiation of this process to the Financial Aids Office.

2. Academic renewal may be requested only once during a student's academic career.

3. Once a certificate, associate, or bachelor degree is awarded by Weber State University or received as a transfer credit, any Weber State course(s) completed prior to the completion of that certificate or degree will not qualify for academic renewal. However, WSU courses completed after receiving a certificate or associate degree, but before completion of a bachelor degree, are eligible for renewal if they meet the requirements listed in 4-20.A, 4-20.B.1 and 4-20.B.2.

4. The policy does not apply to graduate students or students pursuing a second bachelor's degree.

5. Grades of "D+" or less which were earned six years or more prior to the petition date will not be computed in the grade point average.

6. Academic requirements may not be satisfied by courses to which academic renewal has been applied.

7. Hours not used for grade point average purposes are not used to satisfy total and upper division credit hour requirements.

8. The Academic Renewal Policy will apply only to courses taken at Weber State University.

9. Only the calculation of a student's grade point average will be affected by this policy.

C. Procedure

1. The student may petition for academic renewal by obtaining an application from the Records Office.

2. The properly completed application should be returned to the Records Office.

3. If the petition for academic renewal is approved by the Records Office, the student will be so notified and the Records Office will recalculate the student's grade point average according to the guidelines of the policy above.