Metaphor is now accepting submissions for issue 42. All submissions should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org. We ask that all guidelines listed below are followed in order for your piece(s) to be considered for publication.
- Submissions are accepted year-round.
- Submissions are only accepted from the undergraduate-level.
- All works submitted must be original and unpublished.
- Metaphor reserves first rights to accepted pieces; however, students may submit their work elsewhere after Metaphor accepts or rejects them.
- Submissions should fit one of the following categories: Poetry, fiction, non-fiction, music, visual arts or film.
- Students may submit as many pieces as they’d like to different categories, but written pieces are limited to 6,000 words and poetry to five poems no longer than two pages.
- All literary submissions must be in 12 pt., Times New Roman font.
- Foreign language pieces are accepted if accompanied by an English translation.
- Each piece must have a different cover sheet.
- Contact details should be on the cover sheet only. Do not include any identifying information on your submission to allow for a blind submission process.
- Title of work and page number should be listed on every page of the manuscript.
- Include a “Works Cited” page when needed. The format chosen should be noted on the cover sheet.
- Formats for hard copies of music and literature include cover sheet, SASE and DiscMakers.
- Release form for musicians should be placed in a manila envelope to protect against loss and given to the English Department office admins. Photos of visual art and cover sheets may be given to DOVA.
- Each author should include only one self-addressed, stamped envelope. You will be notified by mail if your submissions were accepted or rejected only if an envelope is included.
- An electronic copy should be sent to email@example.com. Pieces should be saved in .rtf format for music & literature, .jpeg for visual Arts.
- All submissions will be judged as blind entries – names of the authors will be kept confidential until the preferred pieces are selected.
- Students will be notified by email when the final decision has been made.
- All judging decisions are final.