Employement of relatives policy
Policy ID Number: FM 103
As Of: November 11, 2011
This document provides guidance to ensure that Weber State University policy is followed
concerning employment of relatives within Facilities Management.
PPM 3-6 Employment of Relatives
PPM 6-13 Student Employment
PPM 3-14 Hourly Employment (Non-Teaching Personnel)
Immediate Family: Fathers, mothers, husbands, wives, sons, daughters, brothers, sisters, uncles,
aunts, nieces, nephews, first cousins, fathers-in-law, mothers-in-law, brothers-in-law, sisters-inlaw,
daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and step relations.
A. Facilities Management will adhere to University policy concerning employment of
relatives utilizing the following procedures.
B. Facilities Management employees are responsible for self-reporting familial relationships
that are governed by this policy.
C. Only the Associate Vice President for Facilities and Campus Planning will request
exceptions to this policy.
1. Job applicants will report their familial relationships as they pertain to this policy and
procedure during the hiring process.
2. Employees will self-disclose to the FM Human Resource Specialist their familial
relationships when a change in situation takes place that is in conflict with PPM 3-6
Employment of Relatives.
3. After a relationship in conflict with policy is identified, the FM Human Resource
Specialist will work with appropriate managers to identify alternatives that can be used to
address the conflict which may include re-assignment, change in job duties, waiver,
4. An exception to this policy may be requested only after exhausting all other alternatives.
5. If an exception is requested, the Associate Vice President for Facilities and Campus
Planning will compose a memo to the supervising Vice President, explaining the familial
relationship and the reasons for requesting an exception.
6. Written approvals for exceptions from the supervising Vice President must be obtained
before a position is offered to a potential new employee.
7. Written approvals for exceptions regarding current employees must be obtained for
8. Copies of the written approval will be kept in the department personnel files of all