skip to content
  • Calendar
  • Maps

Departmental Honors

Departmental honors recognizes students who have attained the highest academic achievement. Earning honors recognition in Child & Family Studies identifies you as exceptional to professional school admissions committees, graduate programs and prospective employers.


Upon receiving departmental honors, you will be recognized with the following:

  • “Child & Family Studies Departmental Honors” designation on your transcript
  • “Child & Family Studies Departmental Honors” printed on your degree diploma
  • Honors medalion worn at graduation
  • Personalized certificate signed by WSU’s president and honors director
  • Invitations to Honors Program educational and social events
  • Invitation to Honors Nye-Cortez banquet at the end of the academic year


  1. Complete all the BS or BIS requirements for one of the majors
  2. Earn a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher
  3. Earn a major GPA of 3.5 or higher
  4. Take 1 Honors 3000 or 4000 level class
  5. Complete one of the following:
    • Present scholarly work (such as original research) at a local or national forum (e.g., Weber State University Undergraduate Research Symposium and Celebration, NCFR, UCFR, NAEYC, UAEYC)
    • Submit scholarly work for public/professional dissemination (e.g., professional journals, Weber State University Ergo).
    • Complete 20 hours of community service (e.g., volunteer work, practicum) that is clearly pertinent to one of the Child and Family Studies majors.
  6. Engage in the Child & Family Studies Student Association (CFSSA) for at least 2 semesters (e.g., officer) as documented by WeberSync.

How to Apply

Students must apply to be awarded departmental honors and be cleared by both the Child & Family Studies Department and the Honors Program.

  1. Complete the Application for Departmental Honors with Darcy Gregg, CHF departmental Honors advisor. Use to set an appointment.
  2. Bring the completed and signed application to Vel Casler, Honors Program advisor. Call 801-626-7336 to set an appointment.
  3. Meet the requirements listed above.
  4. Complete the Exit Form with Darcy Gregg, CHF honors advisor. Use to set an appointment.
  5. Meet with Vel Casler, Honors Program advisor, to be cleared for graduation with Departmental Honors. You must be in the Honors Program for at least 1 full semester before applying for graduation with honors

Note: You must seek permission from the department chair before registering in a course for honors credit. You must have a written agreement with the appropriate professor concerning the work expected for honors credit (refer to the Honors Program site for more information).


Revised 09/06/17