Sigma Tau Delta English Honor Society
What is Sigma Tau Delta?
Sigma Tau Delta, an International English Honor Society, was founded in 1924 at Dakota Wesleyan University.
The society strives to:
- Confer distinction for high achievement in English language and literature in undergraduate, graduate, and professional studies;
- Provide, through its local chapters, cultural stimulation on college campuses and promote interest in literature and the English language in surrounding communities;
- Foster all aspects of the discipline of English, including literature, language, and writing;
- Promote exemplary character and good fellowship among its members;
- Exhibit high standards of academic excellence; and
- Serve society by fostering literacy.
In addition to the above, our chapter at Weber State University, Alpha Upsilon Gamma, holds an induction ceremony every year where students get to hear from an invited local author in poetry, fiction, or nonfiction. Sigma Tau Delta also hosts other activities such as open mic readings, book groups, regional events and service opportunities with local schools and organizations. If you would like to get involved, please see our list of membership benefits and guidelines.
Benefits of Membership and Events:
- Student scholarships and internships
- Members may submit papers for presentation at the national convention
- Writing awards and publishing opportunities
- Local chapter leadership opportunities
- Service opportunities for promoting literacy in the community
- On and off-campus activities, such as open mics, bad poetry night, book groups, etc.
Requirements for Membership:
1. Must be currently enrolled as a graduate or undergraduate student
2. Must have completed at least 3 semesters or 5 quarters of college coursework
3. Must have completed a minimum of 2 college courses in English language or literature beyond the usual requirements in freshman English
4. Must have a minimum of a B or equivalent grade point average in English and in general scholarship (3.0 GPA)
If you don’t qualify for official membership but still want to get involved with our local activities, we would love to have you attend our functions. Sigma Tau Delta is also a registered club at Weber State University and we welcome all student interest and involvement. Please contact our chapter president.
To apply for membership please fill out a chapter membership application and attach copies of your unofficial transcripts. Application materials can be dropped off at the front desk in the English Department Office, Elizabeth Hall, room 413 for the faculty chapter sponsor to review.
After your application is approved you will hear back from the chapter sponsor or chapter president. Please note, a new student member pays a one-time international induction fee of $40 for a lifetime membership.
Contact and Chapter Leadership:
Laura Stott, Instructor of English
Office: Elizabeth Hall 246 or Davis Campus, D2 304G
Phone: 801-626-7283 or 801-395-3559