|No. 3-14||Rev. 12-09-2009||Date 1-17-79|
A. Hourly Student
An hourly employee who is not in the Federal Work Study program and who qualified for exemption from FICA under IRS regulations.
B. Hourly Non-Student
An hourly employee who is not a student at the University and does not qualify for exemption from FICA under IRS regulations.
C. Federal Work Study Students
An hourly employee who is in the Federal Work Study program and who qualifies for exemption from FICA under IRS regulations.
A. The purpose of this policy is to create consistency in the employment of hourly employees. It provides for centralized recruiting and adherence to approved pay rates.
B. Campus employment policy recommends that students be given preference over non-students for employment when their skills and schedules are equal to that particular job.
C. All hourly employees are subject to hourly employment policies and procedures. Hourly employment policies and procedures do not apply to salaried employees receiving supplemental pay
D. All policies regarding student employment shall apply without regard to race, color, religion, sex, or national origin of prospective employees.
A. Requests to fill hourly and Federal Work Study openings are to be referred to Human Resources. All applicants will be routed through Human Resources to provide for consistency and equal opportunity. Human Resources will provide expedient service and simple referral procedures. The final decision to hire will be made by the requesting supervisor within institutional guidelines. The procedures is as follows:
1. The supervisor or department chair will notify Human Resources of an hourly opening in the department or area.
2. The supervisor or department chair will allow a minimum of two days for Human Resources to refer qualified applicants before making a formal selection. During this two-day period, Human Resources will advertise the opening as widely as possible on campus.
3. The supervisor or department chair will interview selected candidates referred by Human Resources with appropriate applications. Federal Work Study applicants must show the Federal Work Certification Card (CERT) at interview.
4. After selection, the supervisor, dean or department chair will:
a. Notify Human Resources of selection;
b. Send competed PAR to Human Resources for further processing;
c. Sign and complete CERT card if applicant has Federal Work Study status;
d. Within 72 hours of first work date, send selected applicant to the Payroll Office to complete an I-9 form, W4 form, and submit the CERT card.
B. Pay rates for hourly employees must be approved by the Assistant Vice President of Human Resources or such other person as may be designated.
Upon completion of the hiring procedure, each hourly employee will be classified as either;
A. An hourly employee (student, non-student, or Federal Work Study) working on or off campus who uses the University's current time and attendance system to document all hours worked or
B. An hourly employee (student or non-student) who does not use the University's current time and attendance system to document all hours worked, i.e., one-time pay, period pay, stipend, awards.
VI. REQUIRED PAPERWORK
A. It is the hiring department's responsibility to ensure the appropriate paperwork has been completed for all hourly employees on or before the employee's first working day. No hourly employee will be allowed to begin working before all required paperwork has been completed.
B. The following documents must be completed for all hourly employees who have never worked for the University (or who have exceeded one (1) year since their last date paid by the University) before they can begin working, whether the University's current time and attendance system is to be used or not.
1. Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Card
2. I-9 (see list of acceptable documents on the back of the I-9 form).
4. Payroll/Personnel Action Request (PAR) - Minimum of two original signatures must be submitted to Human Resources during the hiring process and will be forwarded to the Payroll Office once Human Resources processing is complete.
5. Direct Deposit Enrollment Form (strongly encourage).
6. Background Check (if required).
7. Completed Work Study Certification Card (CERT) (if applicable).
For hourly employees who are currently being paid by the University or have a last date paid of less than one (1) year, only the PAR is needed.