What is GEAR UP?
GEAR UP (Gaining Early Awareness and Readiness for Undergraduate Programs) is a federally funded college access & readiness program administered by Weber State University who partners with local junior high and high schools to help low-income students (1) successfully graduate from high school, (2) prepare to enter and succeed in postsecondary education (i.e. college, trade-school, military, etc.), and (3) gain knowledge about postsecondary options, preparation, and financing.
GEAR UP at Weber State University is a part of the larger Statewide GEAR UP Education Program, which operates in several regions throughout the state of Utah, and is part of the nationwide GEAR UP initiative.
GEAR UP Objectives
Our goal is to equip GEAR UP students and their families with the knowledge, skills, and the desire to aspire higher. GEAR UP’s four objectives are to:
- Increase academic performance and preparation for post-secondary education
- Increase the rate of high school graduation and enrollment in post-secondary educations
- Increase GU students and their families’ knowledge of postsecondary education options, preparation and financing
- Increase students’ success in their first year of attendance at an intuition of higher education
Gear up focuses on preparing students for postsecondary programs by providing:
- Tutoring and homework assistance
- Comprehensive mentoring
- Counseling and advising
- College and career exploration
- Financial literacy, financial aid, and scholarship information
- Summer programs
- College and career tours and field trips
- Family events
- College application support
- Test preparation and study skills