Jennifer Turley, PhD
Title: Brady Distinguished Professor of Nutrition
- Postdoctoral Fellow - National Cancer Institute
- Ph.D. - University of Texas-Austin, Nutrition Science
- B.S - Arizona State University, Nutrition Science
I am originally from Fairbanks, Alaska. I absolutely love living in Utah for its milder climate yet spectacular mountainous beauty. My husband (John) and I love our 2 children and enjoy outdoor recreation, fitness, and eating healthy. We enjoy spending time with our son, Jonathan and daughter Jasmine and our Great Pyrenees dog Kali. We have been known to play original Christian music locally and on Mercy FM radio in Uganda. John sings and plays the guitar while I play the keyboard, saxophone (alto, soprano, and tenor), clarinet, penny whistle, and pan flute). Here's a song to enjoy. If you enjoyed that, here's a link to more songs!
I love teaching nutrition. I strongly believe that the way you eat impacts your health both now and in the future. I try to create a teaching atmosphere that empowers students to learn the science of nutrition and integrate it into their daily lives to achieve overall wellbeing. The methods that I use to achieve this include:
- To have clear learning objectives and direction for each class session and for the entire course.
- To prepare myself fully to transfer current, accurate and relevant information to my students.
- To hold students accountable for their learning but to provide the means for them to succeed in the class.
- To be enthusiastic and creative in my teaching style. This involves using a combination of teaching techniques to capture the various interests and intellectual abilities of my students. Some of the teaching techniques that I use are: group activities, active learning lessons, lectures, discussions, demonstrations, models, figures, overheads, PowerPoint presentations, problem solving case studies, student presentations, videos, stories, and quotations.
- To always look for ways to improve my teaching and my students learning by using self-evaluation, peer-evaluation, and student evaluation.
In the area of Nutrition, my primary interest is to educate students on how to eat a healthy diet and be a healthy person. I am also intrigued by food system sustainability as well as the immune system, food allergies and pseudoallergies. It is my desire that people don't just eat to sustain life, but rather eat to prolong life and a high quality life at that. Since dietary practices and patterns are linked strongly to chronic diseases like heart disease, cancer, and osteoporosis, I aim to provide the most current reliable information related to diet and lifestyle factors to prevent such diseases. I also am interested in cultural differences in eating pattern and how this correlates to different epidemiological disease outcomes. Prior to WSU, I spent 8 years doing primary nutrition research studying the anti-cancer mechanisms of vitamin E on human cancer cells.
- Science and Application of Human Nutrition (Nutr LS1020)
- Nutrition in the Life Cycle (NUTR 2020)
- Prenatal and Infant Nutrition (NUTR 2220)
- Food Values, Diet Design and Health (Nutr 2320)
- Childhood and Adolescent Nutrition (NUTR 2420)
- Multicultural Health and Nutrition (Nutr 3420)
- Current Issues in Nutrition (NUTR 4320)
- Senior Seminar (NUTR 4990)
- Nutrition and Health in the Older Adult (Nutr 3320)
- Advanced Human Nutrition (NUTR 4440)
- Foundations in Diet Therapy (Nutr 3220)
- Foundations of Lifestyle Managment (PEP 2200)
- Strength Training (PE 1080)
- "Award of Recognition" Utah Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, 2019.
- "Brady Presidential Distinguished Professor Award" April, 2014.
- “George and Beth Lowe Innovative Teaching Award” March 22, 2005.
- “Exemplar of Technology Delivered Instruction Award" from the Utah System of Higher Education, May 2005.
Online Course Development and/or Revisions
- Nutrition LS 1020: Foundations of Nutrition
- Nutrition 2020: Nutrition in the Life Cycle
- Nutrition 2220: Prenatal and Infant Nutrition
- Nutrition 2320: Food Values, Diet Design, and Health
- Nutrition 2420: Childhood & Adolescent Nutrition
- Nutrition 3220: Foundations of Diet Therapy
- Nutrition 3320: Nutrition and Health in the Older Adult
- Nutrition DV3420: Multicultural Health and Nutrition
- Nutrition 4320: Current Issues in Nutrition
- Nutrition 4440: Advanced Human Nutrition
- Nutrition 4990: Senior Seminar
I served as a Department Chair for 10 years at WSU. First I was the Chair of the very large and interdisciplinary Department of Health Promotion & Human Performance (HPHP) from 2012-2015. I then chaired the reorganized Department of Athletic Training & Nutrition (ATN) from 2015-2019. I served as Chair of the reorganized Department of Exercise & Nutrition Sciences (ENS) from 2019-2022. I served as the Program Director for Nutrition Education from 2016-2019.
I have and still do serve on numerous WSU committees: Here are some committee's I've worked on: Davis Academic Programs Committee, Moyes College of Education High Impact Educational Experiences Strategic Planning Committee, Academic Resources and Computing, Online Testing Steering Committee, Salary, Benefits, Budget, and Fiscal Planning, Affirmative Action Advisory Committee, Faculty Senate, Executive Committee, Curriculum & General Education Committee, Department, College, and University Ranking Tenure Evaluation Committees, General Education Improvement & Assessment & Revitalization Committees, Teaching & Learning Forum, Concurrent Enrollment Liaison, Leadership Council, Chairs Council, Search Committees (Dean, Faculty, & Staff), Vista Implementation Project Steering Committee member and eLearning Workstream (Co-Chair), Early Access Student Review Board, College of Education Curriculum Committee, Teaching and Learning Assessment Committee, Department faculty search committees, & NW Accreditation self-study committee (Chair).
I advise students, oversee senior project and BIS capstone projects and give community talks. I am a member of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (AND)
Publications and Presentations
You can view a list of my presentations an publications by following this link.