Science Communication and Public Outreach BIS Degree
The Science Communication and Public Outreach BIS degree option is designed for students with a passion for science and a desire to share it with the public. The program includes courework is science, design, and communication, culminating in a capstone project that combines your scientific knowledge with communication to a wide array of audiences.
The Science Communication and Public Outreach consists of four components: communication empahsis, design emphasis, science/technology empahsis, and the capstone project.
- Communication BIS:
- COMM 1020 - Principles of Public Speaking
- COMM 1130 - Media Writing
- COMM 1500 - Intro to Mass Communication -or- COMM 2010 Mass Media and Society
- COMM 2110 - Interpersonal and Small Group Communication
- COMM 3000 - Communication Theory
- 9 credits COMM electives, including 6 credits upper division
- Design emphasis:
- Data analytics
- Design for digital media
- Interior design
- Professional and technical writing
- User experience design
- Science and Technology Area Emphasis
- Choose from an emphasis area in the College of Science, College of Social and Behavioral Science, College of Business and Economics, Engineering and Applied Science, or Health and Human Performance
- Science Communication and Outreach Capstone:
- Experience working with the public in a science outreach capacity.
- Research experience in area of emphasis
For more information or to meet with an advisor, contact ______________