- Windows 10
- Windows 8.1
- Windows 7
All university-owned workstations must have a vendor supported version of the operating system (OS) installed with the option enabled to automatically download and install software updates or must utilize administrator managed patch management software.
Supported Operating Systems
Earlier versions of these operating systems will have support ending shortly or have ended.
- Mac OS X v10.13 "High Sierra"
- Mac OS X v10.12 "Sierra"
- Mac OS X v10.11 "El Capitan"
- Mac OS X v10.10 "Yosemite"
Check Your OS version
- Click the Start button.
- Select Settings.
- Click on the System button.
- Select About from the left navigation.
- Swipe in from the right edge of the screen or point your cursor at the lower right corner of the screen.
- Click or tap Settings.
- Select Change PC Settings.
- Tap or click PC and Devices.
- Select PC Info.
- Click the Start button.
- Right-click on Computer.
- Select Properties.
- Click on the Apple menu.
- Choose About This Mac
- Click the Version Number underneath where the window says OS X.
Verify Automatic Updates Are On
Note: Windows 10 is a service, which means automatic updates are turned on by default and your PC always has the latest and best features.
- Select the Start button, then select Settings > Update & security > Windows Update . If you want to check for updates manually, select Check for updates.
- Select Advanced options, and then under Choose how updates are installed, select Automatic (recommended).
- Open Windows Update by swiping in from the right edge of the screen (or, if you're using a mouse, pointing to the lower-right corner of the screen and moving the mouse pointer up), select Settings > Change PC settings > Update and recovery >Windows Update. If you want to check for updates manually, select Check now.
- Select Choose how updates get installed, and then under Important updates, select Install updates automatically (recommended).
- Under Recommended updates, select the Give me recommended updates the same way I receive important updates check box.
- Under Microsoft Update, select the Give me updates for other Microsoft products when I update Windows checkbox and then select Apply.
- Select the Start button In the search box, enter Update, and then, in the list of results, select Windows Update.
- In the left pane, select Change settings, and then under Important updates, select Install updates automatically (recommended).
- Under Recommended updates, select the Give me recommended updates the same way I receive important updates check box, and then select OK.
OS X Lion and earlier
- From the Apple Menu, choose system preferences.
- Select Software Update.
OS X Mountain Lion and later
- From the Apple Menu, choose System Preferences.
- Select App Store.