FEDERAL GUIDELINES PERTAINING TO IACUC:
1. Review at least once every six months the institution’s program for humane care and use of animals.
2. Inspect, at least once every six months, all animal facilities, including animal study areas/satellite facilities, using USDA Regulations, as basis.
3. Prepare reports of IACUC evaluations and submit the reports to the Institutional Official.
4. Review and investigate legitimate concerns involving the care and use of animals at institutional care facilities resulting from public complaints and from reports of non-compliance received from facility personnel or employees.
5. Make recommendations to the Institutional Official regarding any aspect of the institution’s animal program, facilities or personnel training.
6. Review and approve, require modifications in (to secure approval), or withhold approval of proposed significant changes regarding the care and use of animals in ongoing activities.
7. Suspend any activity involving animals when necessary; take corrective action and report to funding agency and USDA.
USDA website for Animal Welfare Act and Regulations:
Animal Welfare Information Center:
USDA, Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service, Animal Care (APHIS, AC):
USDA, Additional Federal Animal Care Legislation, Policies, GLP's, etc.: