Delegating Your Departmental Google Calendar Account
Within Weber State University’s new Google Calendar system, you will need to delegate your departmental calendar account to the individuals who will be responsible for managing calendar events.
Delegates can do the following in the departmental Google Calendar account:
- Respond to event invitations
- Create new events
- Modify existing events
- Manage sharing (if your permission is set to Make changes AND manage sharing)
Delegates can't do the following in the departmental Google Calendar account:
- Change account settings, such as language, time zone, or automatically adding invitations to the calendar
- Use Task lists
- Access your departmental Gmail contact groups
Remember, all the actions listed above can be accomplished by logging in directly to the departmental Google Calendar account.
Set Up Departmental Calendar Delegation
Before you can manage your departmental Calendar, you must first gain access to the account, as follows:
- Sign in to the departmental Google Calendar using the account’s username and password.
- Go to the My calendars section, and click the three dots to the right of your mailbox name.
- Select Settings and sharing from the drop-down.
- In the Share with specific people field, type the email address of the user you are giving access to.
- In the drop-down menu, select the appropriate permission, and then click Save.
- Make changes to events lets others edit the departmental calendar
- Make changes AND manage sharing lets others edit the calendar's sharing options, too. (For example, others can give another admin access to the departmental calendar.)
Congratulations! You have now shared the departmental Google Calendar account, and the designated user can see and modify all meetings on the calendar, including private and confidential events.
If you have Make changes AND manage sharing access to the departmental calendar, the designated user will now see the departmental calendar in their own account in the My calendars list on the left.
If you have Make changes to events access to the departmental calendar, the designated user will see the departmental calendar in their own account in the Other calendars section.
Tip: To easily distinguish between calendars, choose very distinct colors for each calendar, such as red and blue. Change the color of a calendar by going to the My calendar section, hovering over the calendar, clicking the three dots that appear, and selecting a new color from the grid.
Receive Notifications for Your Delegated Calendar
Notifications for the departmental calendar are disabled by default--if you want to receive notifications for the departmental calendar events, you must manually enable them.
To receive email and pop-up notifications for the departmental calendar, follow these steps:
- Log in to your Google Calendar.
- The departmental calendar appears in the My calendars or Other calendars list, and departmental meetings appear on your calendar.
Note: If you cannot see the departmental calendar events in your calendar, make sure the check box next to the calendar name is checked.
- Hover over the departmental calendar, click the three dots that appear, and select Settings and Sharing.
- In the Settings for my calendars section, click Event Notifications.
- Selct Add Notification from the menu on the right hand side to allow the calendar to alert you as desired.