Federal Financial Aid Terms & Conditions

Your financial aid award is based on your individual financial need, the information you or your parents provided on the financial aid application (FAFSA), the regulations governing the various student aid programs and the available funds at Weber State University. 

The formula used to determine your award based on your Expected Family Contribution (EFC) is as follows:

Cost of Attendance (9 months)
Less – Expected Family Contribution
Less – Other Sources of Assistance Equals
= Your NEED for Financial Aid

Your NEED for financial aid is the difference between your cost of attendance and your total other resources. If you have any questions about this calculation, please contact WSU Financial Aid and Scholarship office at 801-626-7569.

  1. Satisfactory Progress: Federal law requires that all students receiving financial aid are completing satisfactory progress toward their degree or certificate program. This is measured by your GPA and credit hours completed per semester. GPA: Student must maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale once they have attempted five or more semesters. Credit Hour Completion: In addition to GPA requirements, you must complete the hours enrolled with passing grades. Not acceptable grades are AU, NC, UW, W, E, I, T. Minimum Completion: 67% of all credit hours must have a passing grade by the end of the semester. (Undergraduate Students: Full Time = 12+ hours; Three-quarter time = 9-11 hours; Half-time 6-8 hours) (Graduate Students: Full time =9+ hours; Half-time = 5-8 hours)
  2. Refunds and repayments: If you drop classes or withdraw from school anytime during the semester, you may be required to repay part or all of the financial aid received during the semester. Contact the Financial Aid and Scholarship office BEFORE you drop a class or withdraw from school.
  3. Scheduled aid may not be disbursed until the first day of the semester. If your scheduled aid does not cover the entire balance due, it is the student’s responsibility to pay the difference owed before the tuition due date.
  4. A conviction for an offense during a period of enrollment for which the student was receiving Title IV HEA program funds, under any federal or state law involving the possession or sale of illegal drugs will result in the loss of eligibility for any Title IV HEA grant, loan, or work-study assistance. (HEA Sec. 484(r)(1)); (20 U.S.C. 1091(r)(1)).
  5. Direct Student Loans: If your award includes a Direct Loan (DLSF, DLUS, DLPL), actual loan amount will differ from the awarded amount based on the origination fee which is deducted from each disbursement. Students in an Associates program (two year program) are eligible for the freshman or sophomore loan amounts ($3500 or $4500). If you are pursuing a bachelor’s degree, please confirm this on your student records.
  6. Perkins: If your award includes a Federal Perkins Loan (PERK), you MUST complete a Federal Perkins Loan Orientation and sign and return the Perkins Loan Promissory Note each year before funds will be released to you from this program. Notice: Information regarding ANY loan funding received by the student or parent while at Weber State University, will be submitted to the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS), and will be accessible by state agencies and other institutions determined to be authorized users of the data system. 
  7. Federal Work Study: If your award includes Federal Work Study (FWS), you can obtain a “Certification Card” from the Financial Aid Office to take to your FWS employer. You must show proof of eligibility to work in the United States as required by Congress. Bring your original Social Security Card and valid Driver’s License (or State ID card) to the Payroll Office to complete of your INS I-9 form. If you are not employed with a work study job within 30 days after fall term begins, you will lose the award for the year. Additionally, you must be enrolled as a half-time student to received FWS. Please go to Human Resources Department https://www.weber.edu/humanresources for job availability and instructions. If you drop below half-time enrollment, you must stop working immediately.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: Please budget your money properly and avoid student loan debt if possible. Funds can be transferred to pay your tuition/fees no earlier than 10 days prior to the semester start date. Residual funds will be applied to your bank account or sent to you in a check through the mail. Please keep your address current with us.