Driver Safety & Certification
Please read these instructions in their entirety prior to proceeding to the training.
Employees, volunteers, and students who drive for University business (in either campus or personal vehicles) must visit the website (linked below) and follow the instructions to complete or renew an expired/expiring defensive driving training certification.
All certifications on the online program are good for two years.
After completing the training course, please forward your certificate to firstname.lastname@example.org with your department name and mail code in the body of the email. You may also mail a hard copy to Dept 2622, Attn: Fleet Management, with your department name and mail code noted on your certificate. If you have any questions or concerns, please call Marette at extension 7714.
Thank you for your attention to this matter.
The Defensive Driving Certification is available on the State of Utah, Risk Management website:
Clicking the above link will take you directly to the training website.
Driver Training & Certification Instructions
1. The training is accessed through risk.utah.gov.
2. Click Utah Learning Portal-Risk Training.
3. Click Public and Higher Ed-Access the Portal.
4. If you have not created a username and password through the Portal, do so through Sign up here, otherwise, log in.
a. Use WSU for the keyword.
5. If you have taken the training before, click Continue Registration. If you have not taken the training before, the Defensive Driver's Training may be located
6. Watch the video and take the test.
7. To print a copy, go to Completed Learning and choose Print Certificate. If the certificate is not printing, the pop-up blocker may need to be disabled.
8. Send a copy to Fleet Management at mail code 2622 or an electronic copy to email@example.com, include your department name or mail code. Send a second copy to your department head or secretary (all departments should track their drivers).
*Before taking the training, be sure your web browser is updated, the video tutorial will often glitch if an older browser is being used.