EXECUTIVE MASTER'S OF HEALTH ADMINISTRATION
MHA & eMHA Program Competencies
The program has developed twelve competencies arrayed within three domains: Personal Development, Professional Development and Applied Skills.
Personal Development Domain
- Communication: The competency includes things such as executive proficiency in written and oral communication, the ability to communicate across disciplines, and to project a professional business presence both individually and as a representative of one’s organization.
- Relationship Management: This competency includes things such as the ability to develop positive collaborative relationships with peers, subordinates, and superiors within and across organizations, and to lead and work with teams effectively. In addition it includes the demonstration of emotional intelligence.
- Critical and Creative Thinking: This competency includes things such as the ability to seek and use qualitative and quantitative information, developing insight, and using these to achieve the mission, vision, and goals of one’s organization. In addition, it includes the ability to understand and lead transformational innovation.
- Professionalism: This competency includes things such as a sense of personal accountability and the ability to assume risk and responsibility. It also includes an orientation to the development of a life-long learning agenda and a commitment to ethical conduct and personal growth.
Professional Development Domain
- Healthcare Leadership: This competency requires a deep and broad understanding of the industry; both its clinical and administrative aspects. It includes the masterful application of skills such as transparency, decision making, leading and managing change, being a role model, mentoring, and developing the talent of subordinates.
- Law, Policy, and Governance: This competency includes things such as the ability to accurately assess and work within the external political, legal, and regulatory environment. It requires an understanding of healthcare policy and its impact on the health of individuals and of populations. In addition, it includes the ability to navigate internal organizational dynamics, and to participate in governance of the organization.
- Community Awareness and Population Health: This competency requires the management of populations of peoples’ health and includes things such as the ability to investigate population health characteristics and to participate in improving population health in the local community. It also includes attentiveness to the ecological and social factors that influence health behaviors.
Applied Skills Domain
- Human Resources Management: This competency includes things such as the ability to ethically lead and manage the human resources processes needed for effective staffing in the operation of a healthcare organization.
- Financial Management: This competency includes things such as the ability interpret financial and accounting documents, plan and execute budgets, make capital investment decisions, and to articulate and implement executive fiduciary responsibilities.
- Information Technology: This competency includes things such as the ability to recognize critical elements of information technology, to participate in the management of the acquisition and implementation of information systems and personnel, and to use information technology for decision support.
- Performance Improvement and Quality Management: This competency requires a rudimentary understanding of the clinical environment and the use of an evidence based approach to care, management, and risk management. It includes things such as the ability to use quality and systems tools to measure, promote, and to implement quality improvement initiatives in clinical and administrative partnerships within healthcare organizations.
- Strategic Management: This competency includes things such as the ability to conduct external and internal environmental analysis, to apply the principles of strategy formulation, implementation, and control, and to develop corporate strategy, market research, and planning.