Scholarship Thank You Letter
Congratulations on your scholarship! As part of accepting your award, you must write a letter to thank the donor who made it possible.
These letters mean a lot to our donors. Your thoughtfulness will help show them how their generosity makes a real difference!
Thank You Letter Requirements
- Your letter should be typed and formatted to fit on a standard 8 ½ x 11 sheet of white paper.
- Please date your letter.
- Address the letter as: “Dear Scholarship Donor,”
- Include the name of the scholarship. You can find the name of the scholarship inside the "Financial Aid & Scholarship" app by clicking on "View/Accept Your Award" and then choosing the "Award Offer" tab. It is encouraged to avoid abbreviations and ensure you are typing out the full name of the scholarship.
- Be sincere. Do NOT copy content from the sample letters, they are for ideas and inspiration only.
- Briefly tell the donor:
- Why this scholarship is important to you and/or your family
- How receiving this scholarship has impacted your academic career
- How receiving this scholarship will positively impact your future
- Any information about your background, goals, interests and activities that you would like to share with the donor
- Express gratitude and use the words “thank you” within your letter.
- NEVER use the phrase, “Every little bit helps.” While it may seem to be true, it belittles the donor’s generosity.
- Please keep it to one page if possible. While we do not want to restrict your content, your letter will move between multiple offices before reaching the donor, and multiple pages have a chance of being accidentally separated during conveyance. Consider using single spacing rather than double spacing, as well as 11 or 10 point font size rather than 12 point, to conserve space. However, if you must use multiple pages, only use one side of each page (see below).
- Please use only one side of the page, which makes it possible to batch scan letters into our database.
- Include a photograph of yourself (color, if possible) in the lower left or lower right quadrant of the page. Please do not put your photo on the back of the page or on a separate page (see above).
- Include your printed first and last name and W number below your signature.
- Be accurate and have someone else proofread your letter for correct spelling and grammar.
- Remember to sign your letter (electronic signatures and cursive fonts are acceptable).
- Return your letter to the Scholarship and Financial Aid Office within 14 days after accepting your scholarship(s) online. This can be either in person or by sending your thank you letter as a PDF or Word Document to email@example.com as an attachment.