Weber Snow Cooperative Music Licensure Program
This program is designed to add music teaching licensure for students completing the Bachelor of Music in Commercial Music degree at Snow College. The license is issued by the Utah State Office of Education at the recommendation of Weber State University and will qualify you to teach any and all music courses, kindergarten through twelfth grade in the public schools. Those who finish this program will have completed all courses required in a typical music education degree program, but will also have the distinct advantages of additional coursework in music technology, jazz and popular music, guitar, song-writing, and arranging associated with the Commercial Music degree. Complete the following steps:
Step 1: Apply for the program
To be accepted to the program, you should be at least a junior and be able to maintain a 3.0 GPA.
- Notify the program director by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) that you would like to apply to the program.
- Interview with the director of the program (scheduled at the Snow College campus).
- Complete a background check.
- Go to www.schools.utah.gov/main.
- Select Online licensure Renewal. Start a background check, follow the prompts for “initial licensure” and input all required information.
- Choose Live Scan, pay the fee, and print out an Authorization Form.
- Take the Authorization Form to a Live Scan site for fingerprinting (additional fee). A time will be set up for you to complete this step at the South Sanpete School District office.
- When your background check is complete, you will receive a notice from USBE. Go to uen.org and register for an account. Go to your personal page and select the CACTUS link (bottom middle). Verify birthdate and SSN. Select “verify me”. Check personal information. Select Application Status. Print a copy of this page with your CACTUS ID on it. Send a copy of the page to email@example.com.
Step 2: Complete pre-requisites
Complete the following 21 credits of music education and related courses at Snow College.
- HFST 1500 Human Development (2)
- MUSC 1700 Introduction to Music Education (3)
- MUSC 1750 & 1760 Woodwind Pedagogy (2)
- MUSC 1480 & 1490 Brass Pedagogy (2)
- MUSC 1840 & 1850 String Pedagogy (2)
- MUSC 1800 Percussion Pedagogy (1)
- MUSC 2050 Vocal Pedagogy (1)
- MUSC 3150 Vocal Methods (3) or MUSC 3160 Instrumental Methods (3)
- MUSC 3170 Elementary Music Methods (3)
- MUSC 4140 Contemporary Orchestration (2)
Step 3: Apply to Weber State University
Students should apply for admission to Weber State University during Spring semester prior to beginning the program the next Fall. WSU, like Snow College, is an open-enrollment institution. Some of the Weber courses can be taken while completing the Commercial Music degree at Snow, but students should be careful about taking too many credits.
- Log onto the WSU home page at www.weber.edu
- Click on Admissions in the purple bar on the left side of the page
- In the drop down menu choose transfer students
- Follow the directions for admission to WSU; for Planned Course of Study, choose EDUC: Elmtry Applicant - BS. This designation is simply a "place holder" and will be replaced by the teacher education advisement center with the appropriate designation for this program.
- After you have been accepted, you will be assigned a W number.
Step 4: Apply for financial aid
Apply through Weber State University (https://www.weber.edu/financialaid) if needed. During any semester in which you are NOT taking WSU courses, you should apply for financial aid through Snow College.
Step 5: Register for courses
- The website to register is www.weber.edu/teachertraining. Copy and paste into the location bar on your browser.
- Click on the class you wish to register for. Click "add" for the location and class you wish to attend.
- If you wish to register for a second class, click on "add more courses." If you do not wish to register for additional classes, click on "complete your registration."
- Complete the Personal Information section. Fields with a * must be filled in. (Your social security number is used to track your official transcript. Your social security number will not be printed on your receipt. You will be issued a student ID number beginning with the letter W)
- Complete the Payment Information section, and pay with your credit card. If you choose to pay your fee with a check, please mail it in as soon as possible, along with a printout of the registration page. Your registration will not be processed until your check has been received. If you are applying for financial aid check the GRANT box in the payment area as you check out.
- Please call WSU Continuing Education Registration at 801-626-6600 if you have questions. Should you have difficulties and do not know who to contact, please contact: Kimberly Love firstname.lastname@example.org
The sequence of courses is as follows:
Fall Semester (13 credits)
MUSC 4860 Internship in Music (1) in local elementary schools
EDUC 3900 Preparing, Teaching, and Assessing Instruction (3) Online
EDUC 3910 Secondary Education Practicum (2) in local secondary schools
MED 6020 Diversity in Education (2) Online
MED 6265 Foundations of Inclusive Teaching (2) Online
MED 6320 Content Area Literacy Instruction (3) Online
Spring Semester (4 credits, no additional courses are allowed during student teaching)
EDUC 4930A Clinical Practice in Secondary Education (4) Student teaching (60 days)
Or, if needed for financial aid purposes, you can register for 12 credits as follows:
EDUC 4940 Clinical Practice in Secondary Education (8)
EDUC 4950 Student Teaching Seminar (4)
Please note: Student teaching can be completed at any accredited school . . . anywhere. Please visit educatorsabroad.org if interested in Worldwide Teaching Internships. Student teaching can also be completed in the Fall or Summer, depending on the availability of an appropriate placement.
Step 6. Pay tuition
Tuition and fees for the Weber State University courses are as follows (these costs may be adjusted relative to current WSU tuition rates) and is due at the time of registration.
Fall (12) credits = $3390.00
Spring (4) credits = $1000.00
Total cost of program= $4390.00
Step 7. Complete the Online Student Teaching Application
Please do this during your first semester of enrollment in the program. Go to the Weber State University home page and log in. Search and find the Teacher Education Student Portal. Start a new application. Agree to the ethics standards. Select degree type: Snow Music Licensure. Select K-12 Music. Select the semester when you started the program. If/when you have Praxis scores, go ahead and upload them as well. Then submit the application.
Step 8. Complete the Praxis exam.
The state of Utah also requires that you pass the Music Education Content Knowledge (5113) Praxis Exam. All students should complete this before student teaching. More information is available here: (https://www.weber.edu/teachered/praxis.html).
Step 9. Complete licensure paperwork
Complete the following steps during your final semester to obtain your teaching license:
- Go to this website: https://www.weber.edu/teachered/stepstolicensure.html and fill out both the Licensure Checklist and the USBE Licensure Application and mail it to Brogan Stampick (email@example.com) along with copies of passing Praxis II test scores. Make sure your scores are also posted on the USBE website.
- Send OFFICIAL transcripts from Snow to USBE:
Utah State Office of Education
250 East 500 South
PO Box 144200
Salt Lake City, UT 84114-4200
- Make sure your background check is passed and up to date.
Once Brogan has everything from you, she will fill out and sign the requisite paperwork and forward it to USBE. They process the recommendation manually, after which they will contact you and let your know how to get a copy of your license.