Restricted Items List

P-Cards are not to be used to purchase the following RESTRICTED items:

  • Advertisements for personnel recruiting (staff or academic)
  • Alcoholic beverages (Unless purchased in conjunction with a meal where the business purpose is employee recruitment or donor development.  Beverages purchased for this purpose must be reallocated to non E&G funds.)
  • ATM withdrawals (only available for pre-authorized foreign and/or group travel)
  • Construction/remodeling (contracted)
  • Controlled substances (prescription drugs, narcotics, etc.)
  • Computers
  • Donations
  • Equipment items exceeding $1,500 (department is responsible for keeping records of model and serial number on equipment items less than $1,500)
  • Ethyl Alcohol
  • Fines, late fees or penalties
  • Firearms
  • Furniture (i.e., bookcases, chairs, desks, file cabinets, modular furniture, tables, etc.)
  • Gasoline (for personal vehicle)
  • Interest/finance charges
  • Lobbying costs
  • Lodging or housing (unless authorized for travel)
  • Maintenance agreements exceeding $1,500 per year
  • Purchases of any amount that require a contract be signed by the institution (Submit a requisition to comply with contract approval requirements)
  • Radioactive isotopes
  • Split transactions (vendor makes two charges to keep under a limit)
  • Student tuition, scholarships or stipends
  • Telephone equipment or installation on campus (regular or cellular)
  • Travel (unless authorized for travel)
  • Tuition for employees
  • Vehicle rental locally (allowed at destination only, with supervisor approval on pre-authorized travel)

Note: Unless authorized for travel, there is a Merchant Category Code [MCC] restriction on all University P-Cards that specifically restricts the purchase of automobile rentals, airline tickets, and hotels/motels.