QL Requirements & Placement Details
Completing Your Quantitative Literacy (QL) Requirement
Your placement indicates where you need to begin in one of the following Math sequences to fulfill your QL requirement.
Check with your college advisor if you are not sure which sequence and/or QL course is most appropriate for your major.
- MATH 0950 → MATH 0990 → MATH 1010 → any MATH QL course or
- MATH 0950 → MATH 0970 → MATH 1010 → any MATH QL course or
- MATH 0950 → MATH 0970 → MATH 1030 or
- MATH 0950 → MATH 0990 → MATH 1010 → MATH 2010 → MATH 2015 → MATH 2020 (for elementary education and early childhood education majors) or
- MATH 0950 → MATH 0970 → MATH 2010 → MATH 2015 → MATH 2020 (for elementary education and early childhood education majors)
Once you pass a prerequisite math course, the course is valid for 24 months before it expires as a prerequisite. Some math courses are offered in several formats. Visit the Developmental Math website for more information about selecting the best format for your major and learning style.
Satisfying Your QL Requirement
You must complete one of the following:
- Earn a "C" or better in MATH 1030, 1040, 1050, 1080 or 2020 or
- Earn a "C" or better in any math course for which either MATH 1050 or 1080 is a prerequisite or
- Score 3 or higher on AP Calculus exam or
- Score 3 or higher on AP Statistics exam or
- Score 70 or higher on ACCUPLACER College Level Math (CLM) or
- Score of 26 or higher on Math ACT or
- Score of 65 or higher on ALEKS
|Level||WSU Course Placement||Placement Criterion|
(click for table)
|ALEKS||Math ACT||Math SAT||Math ACCUPLACER|
|0||No current placement||No scores; see your academic advisor for options|
|1||MATH 0950 - Pre-algebra||0.0 - 18.9||0 - 13||--||--||--|
|2||MATH 0970 or MATH 0990||19.0 - 20.9||14 - 29||--||--||--|
|3||MATH 1010||21.0 - 23.2||30 - 45||21 or higher||530||--|
|4||MATH 1030 (QL) or MATH 1040 (QL) or MATH 2010||--||46 - 100||21 or higher||530||CLM 20 - 49|
|5||MATH 1050 (QL) or MATH 1060 or MATH 1080 (QL)||--||55 - 100||23 or higher||570||CLM 50 - 69|
|6||QL requirement satisfied||--||65 - 100||26 or higher||620||CLM 70 or higher|
Be aware that your placement can expire if you do not begin your math course within a certain period of time (see below). Enroll in math within your first year to avoid expiration and potential delays in your graduation.
Placement Scores that Expire after 24 Months
- ALEKS scores
- ACCUPLACER scores
- Math ACT scores for placement into MATH 1030, 1040, 1050, 1080, or 2010 (after 24 months you can enroll in MATH 1010 or take a placement test)
Please note: WSU is phasing out the use of Accuplacer test for math placement as of December 31, 2018. Students interested in taking a math placement test or in improving their placement after Dec. 31, 2018, can use ALEKS PPL, which is now fully available. Although Accuplacer math tests will no longer be given starting January 1, 2019, WSU Accuplacer math scores will be honored for two years from when they are taken. As is university policy, Accuplacer math scores taken elsewhere will not be honored at WSU. Finally, WSU will continue to give Accuplacer English and Reading tests to interested students.
Placement Scores that Do Not Expire
- Rubric scores for MATH 0950 - Pre-algebra to MATH 1010
- Math ACT score for placement into MATH 1010
- Any placement score that satisfies the Quantitative Literacy (QL) requirement
(Note: While these scores will always satisfy the QL requirement, the score will expire as a prerequisite for higher-level math courses after 24 months)