AIARE Avalanche 1 Course "Decision Making in Avalanche Terrain"
- January 13-15, 2018 Ben Lomond Backcountry Area
- February 2-4, 2018 Ben Lomond Backcountry Area
- For our AIARE Level 1 based at the Bloomington Canyon Yurt, please visit the Yurt Based AIARE Level 1 webpage.
WSU Student Price: $250
Non Student Price: $350
Price Includes: AIARE Avalanche Level 1 Course Instruction, Course materials, rental of beacon, probe, shovel as needed.
Classroom session will be held at Gear:30 in Ogden, or at Weber State University. All field sessions will take place on US forest service land utilizing special use permits.
Fitness Level: Participants will be required to do a fair amount of skiing in the backcountry. Participants should be in good physical condition, and be familiar with their ski or splitboard equipment.
Prerequisite: Ability to skin and ski/snowboard through steep, ungroomed terrain under any weather or snowpack conditions (No snowshoes allowed on the course).
Time commitment: Minimum of 24 hours of instruction, at least 60 percent spent in the field.
Transport: transportation provided from WSU
Required Equipment: See Below
This is an American Institute for Avalanche Research and Education (AIARE) Recreational Level I course entitled "Decision Making in Avalanche Terrain". The Course will be taught over 3 days. Friday will be the classroom session, and Saturday and Sunday will be held on snow in the backcountry.
- Participants will need to provide their own touring equipment ie: AT, Telemark, or Splitboard (No snowshoes allowed on the course).
- Participants will also need to bring enough food and water for a full day of touring.
- Participants will be given a full equipment list prior to the course.
- Participants will need to bring a avalanche transceiver, shovel, and probe. All of this equipment can be rented from the WSU Outdoor Program.
For more information please call Jamie Bernstein at 801-626-7905
Registration is required by 6 p.m. the Tuesday prior to the course
- Call us at 801-626-6373 to register OR
- Stop by: 4022 Stadium Way, Ogden, UT, 84408