Frequently Asked Admissions Questions

students studyingWhat can I study at Weber State University?

WSU offers more than 250 undergraduate degree programs and 20 graduate degree programs.

Are there academic programs at WSU that require a separate admission process?

Yes. All graduate programs require a separate application, and some undergraduate programs require prerequisite courses for admission. We cannot issue I-20s for graduate programs or the following undergraduate programs without direct admission from the program:

  • Dental Hygiene
  • Medical Lab Science
  • Nursing
  • Radiologic Science
  • Respiratory Therapy

If you are interested in one of these undergraduate programs, you must either be accepted by the program or first be admitted to WSU in a Health Science – Associate Track or a different major. Once you begin your studies and take the prerequisite courses, you will be able to apply to the program.

Is English proficiency required for admission?

Yes, English proficiency is required for full admission into Weber State University. You must score one of the following test results in order to enroll in academic courses. If you do not meet these requirements, you may qualify for our English Language or Pathway program, depending on the score you receive. Please send official test results.

  • TOEFL: You will need to score at least 500 paper-based, 173 computer-based, or 61 internet-based. The TOEFL institutional code for WSU is 4941.
  • IELTS: You will need to score a 6.0 overall with a minimum score of 5.0 on each section.
  • Duolingo: You will need at least a 90 overall.

The TOEFL and IELTS scores are only valid for 3 years from the day the test was taken. The Duolingo score is valid for 2 years. If a English Proficiency test score is below the scores indicated above, you must qualify for the ESL Program. 

Does Weber State University offer conditional admission?

A conditional admission letter only offered to students whose English Proficiency score is lower than the ESL Program requirements. The student must be attending an intensive language program to receive a conditional admission letter. This only applies to open-enrollment undergraduate programs; competitive programs and graduate degree programs do not offer conditional admission.

I want to transfer credit for classes I took at a university outside of the United States. Will I receive credit for these classes?

International students who attended universities outside of the United States must have their credits evaluated. Approved credit evaluation companies

Credits are normally transferred as electives, and it is the decision of your academic department which credits will be accepted towards your degree.

Are copies of admission documents accepted?

You will be able to upload copies of your documents to the online application portal. However, transcripts must be official. Please request official transcripts sent from all US schools attended. If you are unable to send official transcripts from schools outside the US, please bring them with you and show them upon arrival.

How long does it take to process my admission once the application is complete?

Your admission may take 2-3 weeks to process. If you do not hear from us after three weeks, please email

How can I check on my admission status?

Please email for questions about your application. If you applied online, you can review missing documents by logging into the application portal.

How will I receive my I-20 and acceptance documents?

Documents will be emailed to the email you provided in the application. For students coming on a J-1 visa, WSU mails the DS-2019 through the eShipGlobal service by allowing students to place orders and pay for shipping.

Can I bring my spouse or children with me to the United States?

Yes. You will need to complete a Dependent I-20 Request form and include a passport copy, birth certificate or marriage license, and a bank statement showing additional financial resources for any dependents you plan to bring with you to the U.S. ($5,500 for a spouse and $3,000 for each child.) Your dependents are issued I-20s in order to apply for F-2 visas. Children on F-2 visas may attend K-12 schools, but dependent spouses will not be allowed to pursue a degree or work.

What is the process for getting a student visa?

How soon can I arrive in the US after getting my visa?

According to SEVP, you are allowed to arrive in the US no sooner than 30 days before the start date on your I-20.

What is an I-94?

Customs and Border Control creates your I-94 record when you arrive at the US border. This record is used to prove your legal status in the United States. You can access your I-94 number by going to the official I-94 website after you enter the country.

Do I need to attend International Student Orientation?

Yes. International Student Orientation contains important information to help WSU students maintain their F-1 or J-1 status, register for classes, meet other international students, and learn how to be a successful student. All newly admitted international students are required to attend. Orientation normally takes place on Wednesday before classes start. Please plan your arrival time accordingly.

How do I set up my student account?

Your acceptance letter will contain information for setting up your Wildcat Username and password to access the eWeber portal. You will log in to your eWeber account to register for classes, apply for housing, view grades and transcripts, check your student email, access student services, and get WSU updates.

Set up your Wildcat username and password.

Do I have to be a full-time student?

U.S. immigration law requires that all international students on F-1 student visas maintain full-time enrollment. To be considered full-time, undergraduate students must be registered for a minimum of 12 credits. Graduate students must be registered for a minimum of 9 credits to be considered full time.

Students with F-1 visas who take less than a full course load may become out of status and risk penalties by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), up to and including deportation.

If you have been attending WSU for two consecutive semesters (Fall and Spring), you are eligible for summer vacation. You will not be required to enroll full-time during the summer semester in this case.

Students who are in the U.S. on other types of nonimmigrant visas have different requirements for enrollment. Please contact the International Student and Scholar Center with questions.

Can I get a job on campus to help pay my expenses?

Yes, international students on F-1 visas can work up to 20 hours per week on campus while school is in session. You can work full-time on campus during holidays and vacation periods if you intend to register for the next academic semester. In addition, you may also qualify for Curricular Practical Training (CPT) and Optional Practical Training (OPT) employment. See the International Student and Scholar Center meet with an advisor about these options.

Is on-campus housing available?

Yes. WSU has several options for on-campus housing, including housing packages with meal plans. You will be able to apply for housing after you are accepted to Weber State University. See the Housing Services website for more information, or contact

Do I need health insurance?

Yes, all international students are required to have health insurance. WSU has a negotiated provider that all international students must use:  GeoBlue (Blue Cross Blue Shield).  Please visit ISSC to purchase the required health insurance.

What is the cost of tuition?

Weber State University tuition is relatively low compared to many other universities in the country. International students pay out-of-state tuition unless they have been awarded a scholarship or attended high school in the United States for three years. Tuition and fee tables

Is there financial aid or scholarships available for international students?

Federal financial aid is not offered to international students. International students must have sufficient funds to cover all expenses: tuition, fees, books, housing, transportation, living expenses, travel, and all costs related to visa issuance and maintenance.

You may be able to find international scholarships through any of these sources:

What accommodations does WSU offer for students with disabilities?

WSU’s Services for Students with Disabilities provides services to students with disabilities such as note-taking, mobility assistance, adaptive technology and accommodated testing.

How can I get involved on campus?

WSU has more than 200 clubs and organizations, including athletic, academic, and cultural organizations. You will also have the opportunity to get involved in student leadership and government on campus.

How can I find out more about Ogden and Utah?

We recommend for information about transportation, weather, recreation, dining, and things to do in Ogden and the state of Utah.