Steps to Apply: J-1 Exchange Visitor Student
To Apply as a J-1 Exchange Visitor Student:
- Work with your home institution to formalize your exchange with Weber State University.
- Be approved by the sponsoring department.
- Complete the steps for the application below.
- Complete a course request form with your sponsoring department.
Complete the International Student Application
You will be able to upload most required documents online.
Provide a readable copy of the identification page of your passport that lists your name, date of birth, and expiration date.
- BANK STATEMENT AND BANK LETTER
Provide a bank statement and bank letter that shows the required funds are available for your use. Bank documents should be in English, printed on letterhead and certified with signature and stamp from a bank official.
Required funds: $27,409 for one year or $13,705 for one semester for undergraduate students.
If tuition is being provided by the university, please show at least $13,705 for one year or $6,853 for one semester.
- FINANCIAL GUARANTEE FORM
If the bank statement and bank letter are from your personal account, complete Section 1: Personal Funds on the Financial Guarantee Form. If the bank statement is owned by a family member or other sponsor, please ask that person to complete and sign Section 2: Sponsor or Family Funds on the Financial Guarantee Form.
Send official transcripts from your university.
- PROOF OF HEALTH INSURANCE
Health Insurance coverage is required for all Exchange Visitors. The US Department of State has specific minimum requirements for Exchange Visitors. Weber State University offers health insurance through Relations Insurance that meets the State Department requirements. Please log on to the website below to purchase health insurance prior to arrival. Please contact the International Student and Scholar Center if you have any questions.
- ENGLISH PROFICIENCY
Weber State University offers an English Language Program (LEAP) for students who have not taken the TOEFL or IELTS, or who have scores below the requirements. A conditional acceptance letter can be issued for most programs. For admission to an academic program of study, you must complete one of the following:
- TOEFL: 500 paper-based or 61 internet-based (please request official results sent to WSU using school code 4941)
- TOEFL Essentials - 6.5
- IELTS: 6.0 overall with a minimum score of 5.0 on each section.
- SAT Critical Reading score of 420
- ACT English score of 17
- Completion of the International Baccalaureate Diploma at an accredited high school
- Attended a U.S. high school for at least 3 years
- Received a grade of “C” or better in a college-level English Composition Course (equal to WSU’s English 1010) at an accredited U.S. college or university.
- DUOLINGO English Test: Score of 50 or above (test dates BEFORE July 15, 2019)
- DUOLINGO English Test: Score of 90 or above
Once all required documents have been received we will review your application and admissions decision. Upon acceptance, you will receive an email providing shipping information for your acceptance packet to be mailed to you. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.